We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in Newport--does it sound do-able?

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
265 posts
112 reviews
One night in Newport--does it sound do-able?

Hello,

I am planning a trip to New England in late June. I plan to drive into Newport in the afternoon (3:00-ish), spend one night and then drive to Boston on the following evening--after dinner. I am traveling with my husband and teen daughters. Here is what we would like to do. Please tell me if you think this will work or if there is anything you'd do differently. Restaurant suggestions (casual) are greatly appreciated as well!

Day One (arrive in the afternoon)--Thames Glassblowing lesson, maybe the murder mystery show in the evening (has anyone done this?)

Day Two--Visit Breakers and the Elms, Servants Tour of Elms, walk part of cliff walk and/or do ten mile drive. Drive to Boston in the evening, as late as 7:30 pm.

What do you think?

Katrina

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
92 reviews
1. Re: One night in Newport--does it sound do-able?

I would suggest you focus on things that are uniquely Newport instead of glassblowing or a murder mystery show. Instead I would take a harbor tour or sunset sail and enjoy the waterfront along Thames St, shopping and eating etc. Day 2 sounds a bit hectic. I would suggest cutting it back to touring one mansion and then doing the other things (definitely do both Cliff Walk and Ocean Dr) in a more leisurely and enjoyable fashion. It's good to leave yourself some wiggle room, because you certainly won't get bored in Newport with only one day to see it. Also check gonewport.org closer to your trip date to see what is going on while you're here. There are often waterfront festivals etc.

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
717 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: One night in Newport--does it sound do-able?

You didn't post your dates exactly but I have seen folks post that they couldn't get "just one night" in a newport hotel in the summer.

Might want to check that out or perhaps you are coming during the week??

PA
Level Contributor
265 posts
112 reviews
3. Re: One night in Newport--does it sound do-able?

Gosh, I didn't think about that. Thank you! I am coming on a Tuesday, but if I can't get one night accommodations, my whole plan will change.

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
717 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: One night in Newport--does it sound do-able?

I don't think there is a weekday problem.......I think it's weekends during prime time. Nevertheless.......I would book that one nite fairly soon.

Late June can get pretty busy and the week prior to July 4 is busy as well!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
237 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: One night in Newport--does it sound do-able?

I agree to focus on Newport centric things to do. In addition to a mansion or two go up to Castlehill inn and take in the scenery. Have a drink on the lawn. A wonderful Newport experience. A drive down Ocean Ave should not be missed.

PA
Level Contributor
265 posts
112 reviews
6. Re: One night in Newport--does it sound do-able?

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate your expertise.

My situation is that I am traveling with two teens, so there is only so much taking in the scenery and having drinks on the lawn that they will enjoy. My artist daughter really will enjoy the glassblowing and I don't know of any other place where she can do that.

I have one weekday afternoon/evening and I'm not quite sure how to fill it. If you feel that my full day should be devoted to only one mansion, plus a scenic walk and drive, is it possible to visit another mansion the evening before?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
92 reviews
7. Re: One night in Newport--does it sound do-able?

I've raised a couple of teens myself. Our beaches are incredible and most teens LOVE the beach. Easton's has rentals for just about everything your hearts could desire. But since they are teens, your safest bet might be to present them with a few choices and let them decide? I had a boy and a girl, so they rarely fought, so this worked well for me. Of course your choices might depend on the weather, so maybe having a couple of options might work best for you.

I don't think the mansions are open evenings during the week... only on special occasions. There is an arcade along Thames, which has a lively night life. Of course an arcade can burn through quite a bit of money. As backup, maybe stay at a hotel with a pool?

A visit to a mansion could take 3 hours, btw. Driving, parking, walking, then the tour, then the reverse. Then the drive to access Cliff Walk, which can't be accessed from any of the mansions themselves. Time for lunch. Ocean Dr is generally moves slowly as people gawk along the way. And currently portions of it are closed due to Sandy. Hopefully it's all repaired by June. Ditto with Cliff Walk.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: One night in Newport--does it sound do-able?

Day Two is fine. Day one should be walking around the harbour, having dinner, checking out the shops, boats. There are tons of boutique shops and other young people around. When I was a teen I loved hanging out around Newport.

9. Re: One night in Newport--does it sound do-able?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 20, 2014