We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going to Newport for the day with three girls 9 -17

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
3 posts
2 reviews
going to Newport for the day with three girls 9 -17

We are staying in Providence the night before and i want to show them the mansions all decorated for Christmas. Not sure if we would really want to visit all three - and if we only pick one, which one should we see?

What else must we see? We are driving up to Boston so can leave after dinner. Is there a good place for lunch or dinner, or some nice shopping to do that time of year? Don't want to pack in too much, but this will be their first trip to Newport so want to give them an idea of the town.

Thanks.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: going to Newport for the day with three girls 9 -17

The Breakers is the most popular, though some think overly opulent. The Marble House and Elms are also very nice and decked out for the holidays. A good overview of the town would be to drive down Bellevue Ave. where the mansions are, and continue on Ocean Drive, (Seven Mile Drive) where more newer mansions are, and beautiful ocean scenery, looping back into the harbor where all the shops and restaurants are, which is a lot of fun. Three mansions would take up your day; I would do the Breakers and look at the others from the car. Particularly pretty is Rosecliff, on your left as you drive down Bellevue, at the end of the Ave. is Belcourt Castle on the right, recently purchased by Alex and Ani rich girl, and Doris Duke's Rough Point. You can check out Cliff Walk too if the weather is decent.

Boston...
Level Contributor
808 posts
124 reviews
2. Re: going to Newport for the day with three girls 9 -17

We went to the Elms last week.. I agree 3 mansions can be a bit much.. we had a great time... the Poinsetta Christmas tree is really beautiful (which I read about and wanted to see.. this is why we chose the Elms)

and lots of decorations that kids would enjoy seeing

Boston
3 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: going to Newport for the day with three girls 9 -17

That sounds great, thanks! Where would you recommend for lunch or dinner in town?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
11,983 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: going to Newport for the day with three girls 9 -17

can't go wrong with breakers (or any of the others). as far as lunch, there are a number of places and would just walk down the street and look at menus. Without knowing type of food, budget, etc seems silly to just through out names of places that I like (unless you want to take me too. :) )

There are tons of reviews on the restaurant pages.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
92 reviews
5. Re: going to Newport for the day with three girls 9 -17

I think the Black Pearl is an especially cozy place for lunch or dinner in winter. I love their chowder, and it's location right on the wharf makes it a perfect place to duck into while shopping.

Newport, RI
Level Contributor
19 posts
50 reviews
6. Re: going to Newport for the day with three girls 9 -17

I second Hillside 68's recommendations for a drive down Bellevue and around Ocean drive. I would pick 1 of the 3 mansions, as 3 would be too tiring. I've done elms at Christmas and it is beautiful. I'm sure with 3 girls you will want to get some shopping in. The 3 main areas are Thames st, Bellevue and Bowen's wharf. A mix of clothes, art and gift items. Near Bowen's, best bets for lunch are Black Pearl or Mooring. If you have picky eaters, families tend to choose Brick Alley or Red Parrot which have large menus. Diego's is great Mexican on Bowen's. Up on Bellevue is La Forge. Enjoy your day!

7. Re: going to Newport for the day with three girls 9 -17

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 19, 2013