We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manhattan to Newport - help

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey
Level Contributor
233 posts
8 reviews
Manhattan to Newport - help

Hi,

Going back to NYC for 3 nights next April and thought would incorporate a couple of nights in Newport. Going to get the train straight from JFK to Penn Station for the journey to Newport as too tired to hire a car after flight from London. Thought about 2 nights in Newport then back down to Manhattan. Is it easy to move about Newport without a car?

Any Itinerary suggestions would be a great help. I am guessing day 1 would be just be for travel up there as dont arrive at JFK until 11am, then have to get into the city. Hotel suggestions would be helpful, travelling with teenage girls and their grandfather.

Thanks.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
92 reviews
1. Re: Manhattan to Newport - help

Hi Tracy,

Sorry, but I am not sure of your exact plans. There is no train to Newport. There is a train that stops in Kingston, RI, which is 20 miles or so from Newport and then the train stops in Providence. Getting from the train to Newport is not easy. In April there is limited bus service from Kingston, I think maybe 5 buses per day. There are more buses from Providence but you have to make your way from the train station to the bus station, and it's not really walking distance, especially with luggage. I would plan to take a cab.

Once in Newport you can easily get around by walking or taking a bus, or better yet signing up for a bus tour. If you don't have a car then do be sure to stay in the harbor area, where you can walk to many restaurants, shops, an arcade for the girls, etc.

In April it might be quite chilly. In fact I would bet on it, and possibly rainy as well. But if you take a tour the weather won't matter as much.

Surrey
Level Contributor
233 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Manhattan to Newport - help

Ok, thanks for the information. I do think its mission on to get there by public transport though!

Surrey
Level Contributor
233 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Manhattan to Newport - help

Would it be the same sort of temperatures in April as in Manhattan in late October/early November? Have spent the last 2 mid to end of Octobers in Manhattan and not too bad, although it dumped down with snow one day last year.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Manhattan to Newport - help

Actually, I've noticed during the past couple years that April here tends to possibly have some warmer spring-like days, whereas May seems cloudier, rainier, but maybe a touch warmer. Overall though, April=October more or less. It's not impossible to get to Npt via transit, but renting a car would be much easier, unless driving on the other side is an issue, and having done that in Ireland, I wouldn't try it in a metro area myself.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
92 reviews
5. Re: Manhattan to Newport - help

The difference between Manhattan in late Oct/early Nov and April is basically the temperature of the ocean. In fall it's still warm from summer so sea breezes are sometimes warmer than the ambient air temp. In spring it's the opposite. I live 12 miles from the coast and it's still quite noticable, although when I lived in the Providence area it was much less so. The ocean hasn't warmed so ocean breezes are usually very cold. Despite the recent hurricane, which was a freak occurence, fall is usually dry and spring is wetter. But New England weather as a whole is very variable with frequent exceptions to all of the rules.

Surrey
Level Contributor
233 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Manhattan to Newport - help

Ok, thank you for the info!

Surrey
Level Contributor
233 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Manhattan to Newport - help

Will be very much like the UK, thank you for th information,

Tracy

8. Re: Manhattan to Newport - help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 26, 2013