We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels without a parking charge

East Harwich, MA
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels without a parking charge

Is there any FREE overnight parking in or around Newport, RI?

We're planning a 2-night stay in Newport, RI where we'll meet up with friends. We'll have 4 cars, and Hotel Viking, which we thought would be a great place to stay, charges $15/night for each car. I called another hotel and they want $20/night. Help - I've never heard of a hotel charging for parking! Thanks!

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels without a parking charge

Right in front of the Viking Hotel on Kay Street is free parking.

Depending on the time of year you are going, you can park just a short 30 second walk to the Viking, to a nice 5 minute walk back to the hotel. Just look for Bus Stops and yellow painted curbs near driveways. There is always SOME parking on that street.

While I agree that most hotels on the Cape come with complimentary parking, many busy congested tourist areas routinely charge for parking.

Edited: 9:17 pm, September 25, 2012
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels without a parking charge

Cities ALWAYS charge for parking. I just paid $29/night for parking in Washington, DC. Providence runs about $25 a night and Boston $30. Hopefully as milemarker says, you can find on-street parking for free. But if you have to pay don't feel as though you're being taken advantage of.

East Harwich, MA
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels without a parking charge

Thanks for your quick responses! I guess I just didn't see Newport as a "city" and was surprised. It occurred to me that we often don't have a car when we've been in major cities so parking hasn’t been an issue. Hotel Viking and $15 for parking is looking better now.

East Harwich, MA
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels without a parking charge

Thanks for your quick responses! I guess I just didn't see Newport as a "city" and was surprised. It occurred to me that we often don't have a car when we've been in major cities so parking hasn’t been an issue. Hotel Viking and $15 for parking looks good now.

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels without a parking charge

Another option is to book a B&B, many of which do have free parking. There are numerous B&Bs in the harbor area. I stayed at the Viking last fall for a weekend and booked a spa package, which included parking. You might want to look into that as well, if a package fits your needs.

6. Re: Hotels without a parking charge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, December 14, 2013