We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coupons or discounts for Newport mansions?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
87 reviews
Coupons or discounts for Newport mansions?

Hi,

I'm planning a trip with two of my aunts to Newport, RI, for a day trip. (We'll be driving over from Boston.) We plan to tour a couple of Newport mansions and maybe take a short sailing cruise. We've been scouring the internet for coupons/discounts for the mansions, but haven't found anything.

I was just wondering if there are any Newport residents or regulars who know of anything we're missing? We'll gladly pay full price if we need to, but it's always nice to save some money where you can.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Coupons or discounts for Newport mansions?

I've never heard of it, but if there are discounts I bet it would be at Astor's, which I think is in private hands. Most of the mansions are owned by the Newport Preservation Society, which is a non-profit, and the proceeds of admission go towards the upkeep of them. The Preservation Society actually came into possession of most, if not all, because the high cost of upkeep meant even the well-off decendants of Newport's Gilded Age founding families couldn't afford to maintain them.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Coupons or discounts for Newport mansions?

Never seen any either. The only thing they do is give the locals a free day once a year, I think.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
87 reviews
3. Re: Coupons or discounts for Newport mansions?

Well, darn. But, thank you! I appreciate the information. :-)

collaim
Level Contributor
22 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Coupons or discounts for Newport mansions?

I was just there last weekend and went to the breakers and they gave me a discount with my AAA card. I think it was a 2 dollar saving per ticket. Hope this helps.

Sturbridge...
Level Contributor
38 posts
217 reviews
5. Re: Coupons or discounts for Newport mansions?

You can sign up for annual membership to preservation society. It is $75 for dual membership, 2 people at same address. And then you get in all the mansions free anytime. And is tax deductible. Since premium tour cost $49 per person this is a good deal!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
87 reviews
6. Re: Coupons or discounts for Newport mansions?

Thanks, everyone for the input. For those of you who posted recently with tips, I'll remember those if we go back. (We visited a couple of weeks ago.)

For those who may be planning a trip to the mansions, that's really helpful info. I will just add that we really enjoyed our trip there. Simply due to time limitations on our schedule (too much to see in too little time), we only had the time to take 1 tour and went to see the Breakers. We ended up paying full price (no AAA membership) for the 1 house, but still, we thought it was well-worth the money and time. And, because we only saw 1 house that day, we really took our time through Breakers and didn't rush through it. It really is a cool thing to see. My husband is no fan of house tours, and even he found it interesting and beautiful. So discount or no discount, definitely worth going to see!!

7. Re: Coupons or discounts for Newport mansions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, June 22, 2013