We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone know Pronto on Thames?

BCA
usa
Level Contributor
518 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone know Pronto on Thames?

Has anyone been to this restaurant? Looking for a moderately priced place for three college friends to meet in Newport. We are in our mid 40s and would like a lively place (since we'll be doing a lot of talking!!) with good, interesting food.

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone know Pronto on Thames?

Sorry, haven't been there. You could try Brick Alley Pub on Thames Street. Just be aware that at peak times you'll have to wait for a table. One lesser known place that you might want to try is Yesterday's across from the Jane Pickens theater. It's the same type of place -- casual, pub atmosphere, but because it's not on the water it's not as crowded.

Central NJ
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone know Pronto on Thames?

I would recomend the Red Parrot on Thames . It has a very ecletic menu . Also less a couples spot than pronto . And the parrot takes reservations . And doesn't mind you lingering for drinks .

Rhode Island
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone know Pronto on Thames?

I would NOT recommend Red Parrot. Everytime I have gone there I have had horrible service and horrible meal. I have been to Pronto and loved it. The oweners are very friendly and hospitable and the food is awesome. Some of the best I have ever had. Also the atmosphere is so quaint and special. Definatley try Pronto

BCA
usa
Level Contributor
518 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone know Pronto on Thames?

Now, I have also heard the deck at The West Deck is a good place too. Pronto or West Deck?

Newport RI
Level Contributor
140 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone know Pronto on Thames?

Pronto is being operated by new owners for the past few months, and the reports are excellent (the former owners were good too). The husband is the chef and the wife is the hostess. Brick Alley is a fun place, but the food is nothing to look forward to, ditto for the Red Parrot; the West Deck is busy, busy in the summer, with a lot of young people in their 20s seeking a hook-up, and lots of noise. Inside dining room is guieter and more mature.

Pronto's is a good idea.

newport,ri
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone know Pronto on Thames?

Red Parrot does not take reservations. Prontos is very good, good location. Brick alley pub is very good but large and noisy. West Deck is good but make your reservations ahead of time. Its very busy.It is also a bit pricey. You also might want to try Salvation Cafe. It is a bit off the beaten path(Broadway)but the food is wonderful,ecclectic, the atmosphere is charged, and you can take your time and hear yourselves talk.It is not on the usual tourist circuit but over the years has built up a good following. Have fun!!!!!!!!!

Central NJ
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone know Pronto on Thames?

I'm suprised that kobegrl had bad experiences at The Red Parrot . I've been there twice and found the menu very varied and good . Some of the dishes are a bit unusual and may account for the disatisfaction . I enjoy a wide variety of preparations and tastes . And I appreciate the large potions . I agree with kobegrl that Pront has excellent food , and that it is a "quaint" spot . But BCA specifically asked for a "lively" place .

And sometimes the service at a lively spot can get a bit rough around the edges .

Wakefield, RI
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone know Pronto on Thames?

The West Deck is a great place but the food outside on the deck is not so good. You need to eat inside for the gourmet stuff and it's fairly expensive.

I've been to the Red Parrot 4 or 5 times and always had really good food. On top of that, their menu has a really wide variety so there's something for everybody. I also second Brick Alley Pub and Puerini's for great food.

Pronto gets good reviews but I've never eaten there so I can't say.