We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

newport vacation

2 posts
Save Topic
newport vacation

My husband and my daughter (age 10) are looking for a great place to have a 5 day vacation... we were thinking Rhode Island ? Does anyone have any ideas on where to stay and what to do that would be fun for all 3 of us?

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: newport vacation

Of course I'd say, "Sure, come to Rhode Island!" -- hence my user name. Seriously, I think RI's a great place to vacation; I certainly love living here. But what does your family like to do for fun and when would you come?

Newport has the mansions (wow!), Tennis Hall of Fame, Ft. Adams, Ocean Drive, Cliffwalk, Newport Dinner Train -- check out gonewport.com and newportmansions.org. I believe the dinner train has a website, too, and sometimes they have trips geared to kids.

My wonderful Westerly has the beaches (Misquamicut for hokey things like minigolf, carousel, waterslide, the sand and surf and Watch Hill for high-end shops, Flying Horse Carousel (oldest in US), Napatree Point, sand and surf), a lovely downtown area for dining and shopping -- great Victorian park right in the middle. We have Shakespeare in the Park going on right now.

Providence has the RISD Museum, Brown University (another great area for eating and shopping on Thayer Street, the Providence Place Mall, and Waterfire on selected nights in the summer.

Also check rimonthly.com for all things Rhode Island.

Los Angeles, CA
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: newport vacation

Check out the Hotel Viking in Newport, RI! This charming hotel is in the heart of Newport and used to be one of the famous mansions in the area. The hotel has been upgraded, with a new upscale spa and restaurant. Enjoy!

Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: newport vacation

Hotel viking was never a mansion. It has always been a hotel Great location though.

Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now