We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife in Newport

fairhope, al
Level Contributor
33 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Nightlife in Newport

My husband and I are in our mid 40's and will be visiting Newport for the 1st time in July. We want to enjoy the nightlife with others in the 30 - 50 age brackett but other posts suggest that the average partier is much younger.......we enjoy good jazz, blues and rock and love to dance. Any suggestions?

Newport
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife in Newport

Here are a few suggestions for you: the Newport Blues Cafe, Clarke Cooke House has a disco downstairs and Pop for DJ Dancing. The Viking, Glenvale Vineyards, Asterisk have live jazz. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of places, but there are quite a few places that cater to that age bracket.

Have fun!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
237 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife in Newport

Asterick is propably your best bet. They have great martinis and appeal to the 40ish crowd. My husband and I frequestly go for after dinner drinks whne we visit Newport. They have live jazz and it is charming.

fairhope, al
Level Contributor
33 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife in Newport

It's been almost three months since our trip to Newport and we still reminesce over the great experience we had at The Newport Blues Club! The Roger Ceresi All Starz were playing while we were there and we thought they were just great!!! Roger, the lead singer, has an awesome voice as well as a great personality....he can really get the crowd dancing and excited to be there! The band was great all around.....we especially were in awe of the lead guitarist and keyboard player. We live just two hours from New Orleans and this jazz band is just as good or better than any we've heard on our many visits to the clubs in the French Quarter. We plan to revisit Newport for our 10th anniversary in February and will plan it to be when The Roger Ceresi All Starz are there!

You can visit these websites for more info:

www.rogerceresi.com (you can hear a sample of their music)

www.newportblues.com (schedules are listed)

Central NJ
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightlife in Newport

My wife and I are in the same age bracket and have the same type of problems with clubs as you do . We enjoy the Newport Blues club but it can get a bit younger crowd when U of RI is in session . Also it is only open Fri & Sat. out of season .In fact the whole town is pretty dead during the week . On our last trip we went to the Asterix . Although a bit out on the east end of Thames it is worth it . Really good bands . My wife and I always amaze that we are the age bracket with the higest amount of disposable income yet there are so few places for us to go . Especially to dance . Seems they are all hip-hop and rap and house for the 21 to 28 crowd . Twice a month we go to Atlantic City - The lounge at Harrahs because it is a good dance spot . And twice a month we go to NYC's Silver Swan because of the age group . In Newport skip O'Brian's and Rhino ! Also try doing a search for the band - they might just be down your way some night .

Central NJ
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightlife in Newport

PS , We might have been down there the same weekend - for the Folk Festival . We stayed at the Vanderbuilt then , and the America's Cup this past weekend .