We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mansion question

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,532 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Mansion question

We are coming in for just a day from New London, since our cruise has been re-routed (which was very unfortunate for us!) and so now we are renting a car and driving to Newport. Would it be easy to see two mansions and walk a little of the Cliff Walk with us having about 5 hours in town?

Thanks for any help.

Mentioned in this post
Cliff Walk
Cliff Walk
4,208 Reviews
Newport, RI
Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mansion question

Good for you for coming to Newport on your diversion; I would say it's definitly worth it. In 5 hours y ou could do it but that would take all your time, especially on a Sat or Sun...you might not be able to see much else of what makes Npt so special-- or shopping, lunch. Just looking at the grounds of the mansions on Bellevue Ave is an eyeful.

I would suggest just going to the Breakers and walking on Cliff Walk from there for a while, then drive further down Bellevue and onto Ocean Drive, also known as 10 mile drive even though it's more like 7. Its a loop that will take you back into town.

Also when coming from 95 you may want to take Rt 138 instead of Rt 1as there may be some beach traffic along the coast.

Mentioned in this post
The Breakers
The Breakers
4,679 Reviews
Newport, RI
Cliff Walk
Cliff Walk
4,208 Reviews
Newport, RI
Ocean Drive
Ocean Drive
2,457 Reviews
Newport, RI
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,532 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mansion question

Thank you so much for your reply. Maybe we will just take in the Breakers then... I really want to see some of the Cliff Walk and I would also like to go down by the harbor and have a late lunch before heading back. My husband loves it down there and said that it should not be missed... I so wish that we hadn't been diverted... but I will be back for more than a day sometime... so we will make the best of the situation and come in anyway. Thanks for the info on the drive. Any other suggestions for the drive from New London?

Mentioned in this post
The Breakers
The Breakers
4,679 Reviews
Newport, RI
Cliff Walk
Cliff Walk
4,208 Reviews
Newport, RI
Newport
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mansion question

DIRECTIONS FROM POINTS SOUTH (CT, NY, NJ)

Follow Route 95 North to exit 3A in Rhode Island. At the end of the exit ramp bear right onto Route 138 East. Follow this road to the intersection with Route 1 North/South (a couple of miles after passing the University of Rhode Island). At this traffic light take a left onto Route 1 North and look for the Jamestown/Newport Bridges exit on the right. The Jamestown Bridge leads to the Newport Bridge ($2.00 toll). Take the first exit off the Newport Bridge (Scenic Newport) and take a right at the end of the exit ramp onto Farewell Street. At the second traffic light take a right onto America's Cup Avenue. The first brick building on the right is the Visitor Center with Public Parking behind the buidling. Pop into the Center and grab a map. Bring in your ticket to get validated for free a free 1/2 hour of parking.The trip to the Breakers is easy from there. Also grab The Best Read Guide that has a desription of each section of the Cliff walk. I agree with the other post that you tour the Breakers and then walk onto the Cliff Walk. Take a right on the walk as this is more scenic. Walk at least to the Chineses Tea House which will be very apparent. Farther on from here is very scenic, but you wouldn't want to miss Ocean Drive.

On Ocean Drive pull into Catle Hill for a soda or cocktail and sit in the Adirondack chairs for a spell and enjoy the best view on the island.

Go downtown and have your meal on the patio of the Black Pearl. Great bustling area for people watching and their chowder is a Newport Must-Do up there with the Breakers and the Cliff walk.

You'll be gald you made the trip and will want to come back again and tour another mansion, the tennis hall of fame, tour & tasting at a vineyard, attend a musical festival, comedy night, ..................

www.GoNewport.com - All Newport Info

www.TableHound.com - All Newport Restaurants

Mentioned in this post
Rhode Island
Rhode Island
United States
Jamestown
Jamestown
Rhode Island
The Breakers
The Breakers
4,679 Reviews
Newport, RI
Cliff Walk
Cliff Walk
4,208 Reviews
Newport, RI
Ocean Drive
Ocean Drive
2,457 Reviews
Newport, RI
Black Pearl
Black Pearl
1,444 Reviews
Newport, RI
Newport
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mansion question

ADDITION:

If you want to tour two mansions and have the time The Astors' Beechwood Mansion has a gate that gives you access to the grounds from the Cliff Walk. It is a living history tour done with professional actors that brings you back to 1891.

From the Cliff Walk, the back of the manison is off-white with an expansive lawn. Toward the mansion there are steps leading up to the home with stone dog statues on either side of the stairs.The home is not as oppulent as the other mansions, but Mrs Astor was the queen of Newport Society and started the Social Register. In other words, she ran Newport in the summer and the tour is fun. Another landmark is that Astors' is a neighbor to Rosecliff mansion that has a pink and white awning on the back patio. Pretty easy to find from the Cliff Walk.

Don't forget your camera!

Mentioned in this post
Cliff Walk
Cliff Walk
4,208 Reviews
Newport, RI
Rosecliff
Rosecliff
816 Reviews
Newport, RI
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,532 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mansion question

Thank you SOOOO much! I love this site! Thank you for taking the time to write all of that down for me. I am so excited to be in Newport. Me and my husband plan to come back for a much longer visit sometime soon. It is his favorite place on the East coast. He loves the marina there... but I am sure my mother is going to love the Breakers... and the chowder... YUM!!!

I will print all of this out so I have it with me in the car... It sounds easy enough. And at least we won't be giving any of our money to Royal Caribbean for the day :)

Mentioned in this post
The Breakers
The Breakers
4,679 Reviews
Newport, RI
6. Re: Mansion question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 07, 2009