We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket from Newport?

nj
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket from Newport?

Is it possible to have a day trip to either Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket from Newport? Want to go there for Memorial weekend and would also like to go to the islands if possible. Is it better to just stay on those islands instead? What is the ferry service?

Thanks for your help!

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket from Newport?

No Ferry service from Newport, but if you drive over to North Kingstown, you can catch a Fast Ferry to Martha's Vineyard...

http://www.vineyardfastferry.com/

Nantucket you'd have to drive to the Cape to catch a ferry.

A lot to do in a day, especially if you're just in Newport for the weekend....plenty to do/see in Newport to fill your weekend.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
578 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket from Newport?

I agree that there's plenty to see/do in NPT in a weekend..

if you really want to get to one of the islands, there is a ferry from NPT to Block Island.

I actually prefer Block Island to Newport and Martha's Vineyard. It's much smaller and more do-able in a day. ACK and MV would be overwhelming for a day trip I would think.

Newport
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket from Newport?

Do that on another trip.

Too much to do in Newport that you would really enjoy:

mansion tours - Breakers is a must do and also Astors Beechwood for the living history tour. Marble House is my other choice if you try to fit in more.

Dining that will have you confused there is so much selection

Shopping

International Tennis Hall of Fame is a great visit

Tour & tasting at a local vineyard

MUST-DO is the Cliff Walk

Norman Bird Sanctuary for incredible hiking

10 mile Ocean Drive and stop at Castle Hill for the view and a cocktail.

historic walking tours, pirate walking tours, graveyard walking tours, harbor tours and the list goes on.... This doesn't even include just relaxing at an outdoor patio and watching people and time go by.

Whe you do return to do the other islands make sure you include Black Island.

nj
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket from Newport?

Thanks everyone for your help - had a great time in Newport and went back for a short trip to Martha's Vineyard. I really want to explore the other areas you mentioned - next time!

Thanks.

5. Re: Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket from Newport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, September 03, 2009