We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in April?

Which Buffalo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
755 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in April?

We will be in Buffalo for the first time next April 6-7 and I am curious about the weather. We live in Michigan on the western edge of Lake Erie, and I have grown up hearing about the lake effect snow in cities such as Erie, PA and Buffalo, NY. Is it common for you to still have snow on the ground during the first week of April, and should we plan accordingly? Our plan is to get up very early and drive up to Buffalo on the morning of the 6th, stop at the Buffalo Zoo for our animal-loving twelve-year-old, check into our hotel near the airport after visiting the zoo, and possibly drive up to see Niagara Falls later in the day, then get up and drive on to Boston in the morning of the 7th. Does this sound realistic for the first week of April in Buffalo? Thanks!

P.S. It must be nice to see a thread on this board that ISN'T about NYC, lol!

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in April?

Yes, it's certainly possible that we'll have snow in April, but the weather can be quite changeable at that time of year, and it might be gorgeous & warm. Be prepared for anything! The zoo is great. Have fun!

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
755 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in April?

Thanks! Sounds a lot like Michigan then. : )

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in April?

Exactly. Will you be coming from Michigan? Just wondering about your timetable, because it takes us five and a half hours just to get to Toledo, so anyplace in Michigan will take even longer than that.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
609 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in April?

As much as I hate to support stereotypes of Buffalo weather, early in April will be more than likely cold and wet. The odds on sunny and warm...low....sunny and cold ....better....cold and wet....best..

You will love it either way...see you then

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
755 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in April?

Oh well...at least coming from Michigan it won't be a shock to my system or anything. We very occasionally get snow in April, so cold and wet I'm used to. Besides, if we go to the zoo, which is the plan right now, and if the animals there are anything like the animals at our local zoo, then they will be way more active than they are on a hot day, and the zoo should be much less crowded.

Thanks for the input!

6. Re: Weather in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, August 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Buffalo