We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary - May 2014!

London, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Itinerary - May 2014!

Hi All,

My wife and I will be in New York for 3 days in May next year and have a day spare. We would really like to see the Niagara Falls and are thinking of taking a flight to Buffalo at 8am and spending the day in and around Buffalo and stopping for one night in a hotel near the airport and returning back to NYC the next day at around 11am. My questions are as follows:

1. I've read that seeing the falls from the Canadian side is better, is it practical to visit the Canadian side from Buffalo? If so, what are the essential information that I require?

2. We want to make the most from our trip to Buffalo, are there any other must do's whilst there within the space of time we have?

Many thanks,

N&N

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Itinerary - May 2014!

Hi NadandNil,

1. First, Buffalo is about 20 miles (32 km) from Niagara Falls. Once you are in the City of Niagara Falls, New York it is very easy to get to the Canadian side - you can just walk or drive across the Rainbow Bridge. You will need a passport (at the very least) to cross the border. For more information about the exact documents you need, please post in the Niagara Falls, Ontario forum. Even if you don't cross the border, there are breathtaking views on the New York side. The NY side also has a more park-like natural setting on Goat Island which is lacking on the Canadian side.

2. I believe a few hours is plenty of time to spend seeing the Falls. You will get the big picture pretty quickly! I recommend staying in Buffalo, where you will have a greater variety of hotels and excellent restaurants to choose from. I always recommend a trip to Buffalo City Hall , there is a FREE tour every Mon.-Sat. from noon - 1pm that meets in the lobby: preservationbuffaloniagara.org/buffalo-tours… [City Hall is closed on Memorial Day, May 26th, 2014.] Even if you can't make the tour, you're welcome to take the elevator (lift) to the top floor and climb the stairs to the outdoor observation deck. On a clear day, you can see the mist from Niagara Falls to the northwest! If you like architecture, I can recommend Frank Lloyd Wright's Darwin Martin House (please *reserve* a spot as they sometimes sell out their tours). If you like modern art, then a trip to the Albright-Knox Art Gallery is in order. If you like browsing shops/restaurants, then a walk down Elmwood Avenue roughly between Bidwell Parkway and Bryant Street is desirable especially on a nice day.

Let us know if you have any other questions, or if you have other interests that were not addressed.

Happy travels!

-Dee

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
139 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Itinerary - May 2014!

I would recommend staying in Niagara Falls Canada at the Sheraton overlooking the Falls. My wife and I stayed there on our honeymoon and its a view never to be forgotten. Try and get a corner suite on a higher floor. Its not the most modern or fancy hotel but the view more than makes up for it. There are nicer hotels further up towards the Horseshoe Falls but the views do not compare. As Lady Dee says there are nice hotels in Buffalo and things to see but Niagara Falls from the Canadian side is spectacular and there is a reason millions of people come from all over the world to see it. Coming from London there are 100's of buildings there that are beyond compare and I believe you would be disappointed in what Buffalo has to offer and since you have limited time Niagara Falls would be most memorable in my opinion.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
139 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Itinerary - May 2014!

http://www.sheratononthefalls.com/?refid=1135

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Itinerary - May 2014!

I'm confused. Do you have three days total in New York? Are you visiting New York City? Is it your first time here?

Three days in NYC is not enough for a first visit and I would not recommend any side trips.

Edited: 8:46 am, September 04, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Itinerary - May 2014!

Thanks everyone.

Hi kateoz, yes we have 3 days in total in NYC. Our plan was to spend 2 whole days in NYC visiting some of the major landmarks (Empire State, Rockafella, Times Square, Statue of Liberty, Central Park and catch a broadway show one of the nights) and then head out to Buffalo on the 3rd day to see the falls and return the next day and catch our flight back home.

What do you think? Thanks.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,013 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Itinerary - May 2014!

Hi NadandNil1909;

Buffalo and Niagara Falls are approx. 420 miles / 670 km from NYC...certainly NOT a day trip.

You'll need all 3 days for NYC.

Best Regards

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
139 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Itinerary - May 2014!

You are from London which is a fabulous city and my personal favorite destination. I was there last July. Much of what NYC offers is similar to London except of course those landmarks you referred to. Central Park is nothing special. Rockefeller Center is nice and tours are offered and there is Radio City Music Hall there as well. The Empire State building has spectacular views and the Statue of Liberty is worth seeing. Broadway has many wonderful plays and you may want to have the concierge at your hotel procure tickets if you are having difficulty. There are zillion of fabulous restaurants (like London). A walk down Fifth Avenue is recommended and the shopping there 57th street and Madison Avenue is divine. As far as a trip to Niagara Falls being worth it that is up to you and only you can decide what is best for you. We can only advise.

Edited: 9:09 pm, September 04, 2013
8. Re: Help with Itinerary - May 2014!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 06, 2014