We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for the name of a fast food place near Buffalo...

Toronto
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for the name of a fast food place near Buffalo...

Hi...would like some help if possible. I used to come to the Buffalo area once a year for hockey tournaments in the late 80's and early 90's. While out looking for a nice quick meal on a Friday night, myself and a few teammates came across a very old looking fast food place which had everything you could think of! I ordered a burger and was promptly served something that consisted of no less than a pound of beef and was about the size of my head. Okay...i'm exaggerating but it was a VERY big burger. The only clue I can give you was that we stayed at a hotel that faced the Buffalo Airport. (maybe on Genesee Street?) We turned left out of the Hotel parking lot and it wasn't far up the road on the same side as the Hotel. I will be visiting the area very shortly and would love to know the name of this place and an address if it still in fact exists. Can anyone help me out?

Buffalo
Level Contributor
563 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for the name of a fast food place near Buffalo...

ok this is my area but i really dont know what your talking about. maybe danny's?...but thats not fast food so im not sure. its on genesee for sure? is it past further down that the airport plaza (union road) or before that?

if you said left, though, and you meant right, then your obviously talking about beef and sirloin (god rest its soul, it closed after serving the area since the 40s)

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
47 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for the name of a fast food place near Buffalo...

If you said left and meant right there is a diner that is just up the street from the airport on Genesse (coming out of the airport hag a left it's on your right). It's under new owndership now is is called the Apollo maybe? I was there last year and it wasn't bad, but it was nothing like how it used to be (back in the day I remember they had all sorts of art like things surrounding the place)

Toronto
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for the name of a fast food place near Buffalo...

I DID actually mean that we turned RIGHT out of the Hotel parking lot and it was on the same side as the hotel. The place was very old and had pretty much ANYTHING that you wanted to eat! (fast food that is) The items and prices were on hand painted signs all over the walls and everything was great value for the prices they charged. If I remember right there were a few seats along the front window but it was pretty much a take-out oriented place. It would be a shame if it was closed down. I'm from Toronto and have alot of great memories playing tournaments at Holiday Twin Rinks. We found that place one year and it became a tradition to have at least one lunch there every time we came to the Buffalo area.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
47 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for the name of a fast food place near Buffalo...

I think we're referring to the same place. I remembr going there a few times as a kid. I'm very sorry to tell you that it closed, and got a slick makeover as a Denny's type place. The food's good, but it isn't anything like the dive it used to be.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
609 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for the name of a fast food place near Buffalo...

The ledgendary place you are refering to was the "Beef and Sirloin". The place was tore down around 10 years ago and is now the Olympic Restaurant. (typical good quality Greek restaurant)

The "Beef" was known for good food and huge ice cream cones.

Paultler's on Transit Road in East Amherst would be your closest in style and fare. Others include Taffy's on Union Road in Orchard Park, Louie's on Sheridan Drive in Tonawanda, or I would recommend if your coming to Buffalo stopping at Old Man River or Mississippi Mudd's on River Road in North Tonawanda. Great spots with beautiful views of the river and riverfront parks and walkways to enjoy.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
49 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for the name of a fast food place near Buffalo...

Oh, I remember that place! It was really good!

Is the new place the Olympic? I was at the Olympic in Tonawanda and they advertised a sister restaurant on Genesee in that area.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
47 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for the name of a fast food place near Buffalo...

Yep, I believe the new place is indeed called Olympic.

Tuckerton, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for the name of a fast food place near Buffalo...

You need to try Mighty Taco if you like mexican too!!

9. Re: Looking for the name of a fast food place near Buffalo...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 14, 2009