We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area?

Which Buffalo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis
2 posts
Save Topic
Which area?

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are staying in Buffalo one night (a Saturday) in late summer. We will be arriving by plane, and renting a car. We will have the afternoon on Saturday, and then most of the morning on Sunday before we need to head out. (to Niagra, then Toronto). Which part of the city should we stay in to get a real feel of Buffalo? We love historical things, football (does the stadium have tours?), and good restaurants. We would like to try the "best" true Buffalo Wings. Also, we prefer to park, and then walk around. I appreciate any good suggestions! Thanks

Buffalo
Level Contributor
563 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area?

if you want to experience our great history, stay at the mansion on delaware in millionaires row. yes, that means theres lots of mansions, from the turn of the century when buffalo was booming. you probably have somethign like that in memphis though. the place is expensive but will be the most memorable part of you trip. the elmwood strip is buffalo's "soho," if you could call it that. apart from the the allentown arts district, elmwood is buffalo's primary art, coffee spots, etc. you probably get the point. albright knox is right in the neighborhood with its modern art collection (as in modern from when the museum opened with its great collection of picasso, degas, etc. its a very impressive collection for its size. the place just hosted a modern chinese art collection from beijing by the chinese gov, albright was the only US stop. at night, stroll down the theater and nightclub district. if buffalo has done something right, its to turn chippewa street from the red light district to a world class destination with clubs that rival nearby toronto's.

wings were invented at the anchor bar, its not a nice neighborhood though. try duffs or la novas.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
563 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area?

o god, how could i forget. forest lawn cemetary. millard filmores buried there. its in the middle of the city. it was one of those "urban forest" cemetaries built back in the 1800s. a new frank lloyd wright mosoleum, blue sky, was just built there. its an amazing work and if you have $25000, you could even reserve yourself a space.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
462 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area?

Danny,

Did you get a quote or something?

hmcrn,

I agree with Danny on everything. I have another suggestion if you like sports, we have a AAA baseball team The Bisons, and they play in a lovely stadium that is right smack downtown. The games are always fun and inexpensive and you can walk around in the area that is known as the cobblestone district. It is not built up, yet, but in its time is was the Barbery Coast of the East. You may want to go to the Harbor and have a few drinks at Shanghai Reds patio that overlooks the Harbor. The view will suprise you. You can park there and walk to the stadium-Okay it's up hill but if you are walkers it isn't bad.

The chicken wings are really good at the stadium in a place called Pettibones, you can even eat there and watch the game.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
609 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area?

One afternoon, I would confer on the Elmwood scene and a nice stroll and dinner at any of the restaurants. Spend an hour or so at the AK gallery and take a walk through the rose garden and by the lake. My favorite dining spot is Fiddleheads on Allen just a block or two from Elmwood in the bohemian Allentown area of Buffalo.

If you like football the Bills will be practicing daily at St. John Fisher College in Rochester that time of year. It is open to the public. I dont think the stadium will have any tours. Its a quick trip down the I90. Check the Bills website for details.