We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth flying out of Buffalo Airport

Which Buffalo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Worth flying out of Buffalo Airport

I'm planning a trip for my mom and I to Phoenix, Arizona from Dec. 19/11 to Jan. 9/12 to visit family. I have never been to the Buffalo airport but am considering it however, my mom has some hesitations (as do I) but I'm willing to try it out especially if it saves us $$$ from flying out of Toronto Pearson. The other concern is weather since our flight dates are during winter (snow) season. Then again, we may not get that much snow this year (crossing my fingers - lol) but I know that Buffalo gets it's fair share.

I live in Oshawa, ON (1 hour east of Toronto). How long is the commute to the Buffalo airport? If I were to drive, does anyone know app. what the cost is for parking? I will be away for 3 weeks.

If I didn't want to drive myself and leave my vehicle at the airport, I was considering getting airport service but wondering if this would be costly.

Based on you're experience, is it worth driving to Buffalo, (considering the commute/gas), flight, parking for 3 weeks, and possibly staying overnight if an early flght?

Thank you. I appreciate you're feedback and suggestions.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth flying out of Buffalo Airport

I can't help you with the drive time from Oshawa, although my guess would between 3 and 3-1/2 hours.

Here's a link to information about parking at the BNIA (below), with a calculator so you can figure out how much you'll pay based on your length of stay. Note that there's a coupon at the top of the page that will give you $5 off per week for the long-term "B" parking lot. (The "B" lot is farther from the terminal than the "A" lot, but there are shuttles that circulate constantly, and you will get picked up very quickly.)

www.buffaloairport.com/Parking.asp…

And here is another link with information about ground transportation to/from Canada:

buffaloairport.com/GroundTransportation.asp…

The savings for flying out of BNIA will depend on a lot of factors, of course, but we do get a lot of travelers from Toronto, because for many destinations, it is much cheaper to fly out of Buffalo. I'm guessing that your flight to Phoenix would fall in that category. Are you looking at the rates for Southwest Airlines? That's probably your best bet.

Have a wonderful trip!

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth flying out of Buffalo Airport

P.S. Although Buffalo does have a reputation for getting a lot of snow, most of the time, it's centered in the "snow belt" south of the city.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,592 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth flying out of Buffalo Airport

I gave up flying out of Toronto Pearson years ago. Not only is Buffalo cheaper (most of the time, but not always), the experience of going thru the airport is so much less stressful and time consuming, it's worth the trip to Buffalo. No long lineups to clear customs, no long walks, and you are in the air within 2 minutes of leaving the gate.

Most of the hotels near the airport have a stay/park/fly deal, where they include parking and hotel transfers with your night's stay. Most offer 2 weeks parking, some offer 3. You could probably negotiate your parking if necessary. Always best to go the night before so you don't miss your flight.

By the way, check Southwest for flights to Phoenix. They have a non-stop

Here is the link to park/sleep/fly.

http://buffalo.parksleepfly.com/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth flying out of Buffalo Airport

Hi,

I went to the Southwest page this morning and for my mom and I, non-stop with 2 free checked baggages, the cost is $838.80 taxes included! I can't believe how much less the taxes are compared to Pearson.

I'm going to compare prices b/w flying out of Pearson and Buffalo and then make my decision today. I'm not thrilled about the possibly 3-3.5 hour drive to Buffalo but the flight is at 2:45pm so we can leave the day of so we don't need to stay in a hotel. However, coming home, the flight from Phoenix is at 2:00pm, arriving in Buffalo at 8:05pm. I won't look forward to the drive home then.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,592 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth flying out of Buffalo Airport

Why don't you do this. Book a one night stay for a sleep/park/fly at a local hotel, but for the end of your trip, not the beginning. This way you can park at the hotel for the duration of your stay, and spend the night at the hotel at the end of your trip, and drive back to Oshawa the next day, well rested.

Edited: 12:28 pm, November 05, 2011
Ontario
Level Contributor
164 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth flying out of Buffalo Airport

I will never fly out of Pearson again! Flying ut of Buffalo is the way to go. I agree with Tutman - no lines - you're also already through customs so don't have to line up for 3 hours like you do at Pearson on some days. Once your plane leaves the gate, you aer usually in the air within 2-3 minutes. Once you return to Buffalo, you're usually off the plane in less than 5 minutes from it stopping at the gate and have your bags in hang after another 10 minutes or so. Great service, nice people, and clean! Love the Buffalo Airport!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth flying out of Buffalo Airport

Even if the savings are not substantial? I worked it out and I'm only saving about $200-$300.

jgordon24 - how far do you live from the Buffalo airport? I'm about 3-3.5 hours. I ask b/c I'm curious to know if people will drive the distance even if they are not saving as much.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,592 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worth flying out of Buffalo Airport

Isabella....I don't think Oshawa to Buffalo will take you that long. I would suggest that the "extra" driving time from Pearson to Buf. airport will be between 1.5 and 2.0 hours. You're already in the car, just sit back enjoy a bit of a longer ride. You don't need nearly as much pre-flight time at the Buf. airport as you do at Pearson, and your plane will be airborne much sooner. All in all, it's a much shorter and less stressful experience, and easier on your pocketbook. Travel days are stressful enough, and if you can avoid a mega-airport like Pearson, you're ahead of the game. I think you at least owe it to yourself to give it a try and see for yourself. You've had two people who swear by it, and you will be surprised to see the number of cars in the parking lot with Ontario plates.

Ontario
Level Contributor
164 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worth flying out of Buffalo Airport

I am 2 hours away from the Buffalo airport however would do ANYTHING NOT to fly out of Pearson. The prices are crazy, parking is awful, the customs line is ridiculous and then the line for security... no way! I feel like I'm on vacation even when I'm at the Buffalo airport - at Toronto I'm stressed the minute I have to go there.

Toronto
Level Contributor
4 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worth flying out of Buffalo Airport

I see that Choice hotels appears to allow up to 30 days of parking. At least that's what it said on www.parksleepfly.com. I'm a little nervous that if I show up on the day I am flying out that they will let me park there that long, based on my staying over for one night on my return.

Has anyone done that who can confirm it actually works?

Get answers to your questions about Buffalo