We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in Buffalo

New York, NY
3 posts
Save Topic
Swimming in Buffalo

I'll be a few days in Buffalo next week. What are the nearest beaches? Are there pools in Buffalo?

Atlanta
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in Buffalo

There are no real beaches in Buffalo itself, though some decent ones up in Canada (Sherkston Shores), and an okay one on Grand Island at Beaver Island State Park.

If you're looking for a real swim, Erie Community College downtown has a great facility, though I don't know if it's available for open swims. Maybe your hotel has a deal with them. There's also a YMCA on Delaware Avenue, but I don't know what type of pool they have.

East Aurora
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in Buffalo

This is too late for the original poster (sorry) but for posterity.... I think no thread concerning Buffalo area beaches is complete without recommending Woodlawn Beach State Park.

It is a clean and swimmer-friendly beach in Hamburg, just about a 20 minute drive south from Buffalo. Don't let the Ford plant near the park entrance scare you off - it is not visible once you enter into the park. After parking your car and walking past the nice, new park center building and bathroom facilities, there is a nice walk on the boardwalk through some woodlands before you reach the natural sand beach. For some more information on this park, please see: nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=47

Buffalo
Level Contributor
563 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in Buffalo

omg how could you recommend woodlawn beach? didnt you see the thing on 7 news about beaches in the hamburg area. please dont go to these beaches...at least this summer. the erie county sewage treatment facility is right next door to woodlawn and there are always problems with the quality of the water and sand. little kids who play in the water always get sick from swimming there. a local news station just did a report on how theres high concentrations of human feces and e-coli in the water as well as the sand. if you want to swim in the buffalo area check out sunset bay beach club in angola south of the city, crystal beach right over the border, or beaver island state park on grand island.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
563 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in Buffalo

whoa ted is right, it is a beautiful place but dont let it fool you.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
462 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in Buffalo

Actually, while we are on the subject, the day camp took my kids to Evangola beach last week, and every kid came down with a some sort of stomach bacterial thing. The camp was not sure if it came from the water or the sand, but it only affected the people that actually went on the beach. You have to be careful.

East Aurora
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming in Buffalo

You guys are right, E. coli is an issue worthy of bringing up. The issue has been around forever on most beaches located near old urban centers.

I lived in the NYC area... I know it always is an issue at all the beaches along the Long Island Sound, and most beaches along the NJ coast. Buffalo unfortunately is no different. Antiquated sewer systems that are tied into storm drain systems overflow the treatment plants and raw sewerage flows into the same body of water that people swim, boat, and fish in. Such is beach swimming in urban areas.

My family (including children) has swam in Lake Erie countless times at Woodlawn Beach, Sunset Bay, Evangola, even Dunkirk Harbor, and many other places, and never got sick. If the thought of bacteria in the water bothers you, if you have beginner swimmers in your group that swallow water, or if you have toddlers that stick stuff in their mouths (like sand) you should opt for chlorine laden pools :)

Ontario
Level Contributor
228 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming in Buffalo

ick. Buffalo AND Ontario swimming beaches are dirty! Especially along Lake Ontario. I would never swim in there! And DannyV .... you watch channel 7? you traitor! My cousin works at Channel 2 WGRZ-NBC!!