We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap eats & local must see attractions

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo
Level Contributor
81 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap eats & local must see attractions

Making Flagstaff our 3 day 2 night base Feb 15 thru 17th. Planning on Sedona one day. Sunset crater loop the next. Looking for help for 3rd day.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,073 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap eats & local must see attractions

Uhh...Have you been to the Grand Canyon?

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap eats & local must see attractions

I was wondering that too.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap eats & local must see attractions

As far as cheap eats: The Grand Canyon Cafe can't be beat. Click on "Flagstaff Restaurants" to read my review. You will also find numerous other restaurants that may work. Chuck

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap eats & local must see attractions

Walnut Canyon National Monument (just east of Flagstaff)....Petrified Forest (very east of Flagstaff)....Grand Canyon (north of Flagstaff)...Museum of Northern Arizona....I would say the Snowbowl Ski Lift but in winter it is probably very busy...although the view from the top is wonderful...Meteror Crater (east of Flagstaff)...Lowell Observatory???

There is a fairly reasonable chain steak house...Sizzlers.

If you get up to the canyon way, the restaurant at the Cameron Trading Post is very good...Navajo Tacos are wonderful. I don't remember if it was cheap though.

We like the Mexican food at La Fonda's on north 2nd street. Again, I can't recall prices, but I am normally pretty cheap!

If you go to the canyon, pack a lunch and/or supper if you want to save money. It is pretty expensive to eat even the plainest fare there.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
81 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap eats & local must see attractions

I've been to the GC before but my wife hasn't. In fact about 30 yrs ago I spent a few days with some friends of mine who were working there. I didn't think 1 day would do it justice. Every time I go Vegas , I think about it. What is the drive time from Flagstaff? Is mid Feb a decent time to go? I don't want to drive there to take a picture and go.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,073 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap eats & local must see attractions

bbyankfan,

If you're going to be in Flagstaff you can't get much closer to GCNP without being there. You can be inside the park within 90 minutes. You'd be close enough that you could spend the better part of the day touring either the East or West rim and then have dinner before returning to Flag.

If your wife has never seen it, you owe it to her to take her there. Either this time or plan a return trip when you can definitely spend more time there.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap eats & local must see attractions

Ah cheap eats ok here we go:

Local favorite is Big Foot BBQ located on Leroux St downtown below the Old town SHops, La Fondas mentioned above has gone downhill in my opinion try Sala Brava. Great hole in the wall is Ralbertos in the Walmart/Bashas shopping center in the corner great authentic mexican food heaping portions and yummie great salsa bar but only seats about 15 people more for take out. Ni Marcos pizza on Beaver St (one way st)has awesome pizza and you can get 2 slices and a drink durring lunch for about $5 or less. Beaver St Brewery is good too. For great food and a little more $$ go to Charlies on Leroux st yumm great french onion soup even can get a navajo taco there. Horsemans lodge is about $14-20 a plate great salad bar on east end of town past the mall woth the splurge.

Must sees:

Lowell Observatory, downtown walking, The Museum of Northern Arizona, the Riordan Mansion, Pioneer Museum just across the street. Do a drive up to Snowbowl if weather and your vehicle permits just for the view. Walnut canyon might be too cold though.

Hope this helps

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3541-Northern_…

Buffalo
Level Contributor
81 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap eats & local must see attractions

I just want to say Thank You !!! to all the responders to my question. I value your opinions, and appreciate your generosity.

9. Re: Cheap eats & local must see attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:24 am, August 21, 2009