We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Completed,,,Suggestions Please!

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alabama
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary Completed,,,Suggestions Please!

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Fri., Nov.24...arrive PHX 2:45...drive to Flagstaff ( base for 3 nites)...

stopping to see Montezuma Mon en route

Sat.,Nov.25 Early departure to Meteor Crater and Walnut Canyon

Back to Flagstaff to visit the Pioneer Museum

Sun,Nov 26 Early departure to Wupatki Nat'l Mon. and Sunset Crater

Mon,Nov.27 Early departure to Sedona thru Oak Creek Canyon

Jeep tour & poke around Sedona until 5 when the Red

Rock Fantasy lights up

Tues,Nov 28 Early departure to GC ..overnite at Kachina Lodge

Wed,Nov 29 Early departure on AZ 64 stopping at Desert View

& Watchtower

continue on US 89 N stopping at

Cameron Trading Post, then on to Monument

Valley ...overnite at Goulding's Lodge with a view of

the Monuments

Thurs,Nov 30 Early dept. US 163, US 160, and US 191 to I40 to

Petrified Forest and Painted Desert, stopping briefly

at Hubbell Trading Post...overnite Holbrook

Fri,Dec 1 Early dept. for a scenic drive on AZ 377, AZ 277, AZ260

AZ87 into Scottsdale...check into hotel and

explore Old Town

Sat, Dec 2 Noon flight home

My concerns are for the scenic routes.Don't know how mountainous

they are or if any of these roads are closed or unsafe if it snows. We are early risers, especially when we travel West, so the early am departures aren't really early for us. I have so enjoyed the posts. They have helped me narrow down and plan so much easier . I realize that we need to have more time in the Phoenix area, but flying into PHX wil definitely happen again. I tried to book ahead for a Sept. trip to GC and was amazed to find lodges already booked solid. Since I definitely want to stay on the south rim with at least a partial view, I didn't have too many choices. I do realize that weather can be iffy at this time of year. All I can do is pray that my "weather angel"is with us once again. Just returned from Germany where there was 60-80% chance for rain the entire time! We only saw a few drops the day we arrived, then it was beautiful until we left for the airport to fly home. She was with us for a 23 day adventure to Australia & New Zealand, and again in London & Scotland.I think she was on vacation when we went to Vancouver...rained for 4 solid days!!

Thanks SO very much for the input !

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,572 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Completed,,,Suggestions Please!

None of the roads are mountainous in the sense of steep ugrades/downgrades and switchbacks. Many areas you have chosen are fairly isolated. The biggest elevation change you will experience is going "down" to Phoenix near Payson, but nothing drastic or unsafe. There is some chance of snow at that time of year. If the weather is good, you will be fine. You could always change your route to return by I-40 and I-17. If there is snow, the interstates will be safer. I would recommend Hwy 77 to Snowflake from Holbrook rather than Hwy 377 which is not a main highway; neither is particularly more/less scenic in any case. Roads do close when there is a lot of snow, including I-40 and I-17, but that is rare on the interstates. You should be able to see long term forecasts when the time is closer.

riverside, ca
Level Contributor
65 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Completed,,,Suggestions Please!

you should keep checking the weather. I just got back from Flagstaff and got to be in a serious downpour, a bit of snow, and a bunch of hail all in the same afternoon. I'm sure a few of the locals who regularly post can give you future weather updates. You need to be aware of black ice I think, more than being snowed in. Have a good trip.

Phoenix Az
Level Contributor
387 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Completed,,,Suggestions Please!

When it comes to driving in the wintertime in areas that are unknown, you are best off playing it safe and using “good common sense” to ask questions ahead of time!

Roadway Conditions for Arizona

Weather, Road work, closings etc.

http://www.az511.com/hcrsweb/hcrsweb.jsp

Travel Information Conditions:

888-411-ROAD

or dial 511 state wide.

4. Re: Itinerary Completed,,,Suggestions Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, August 24, 2009