We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Foliage in Flagstaff

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arizona
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fall Foliage in Flagstaff

I am going to be in the Flagstaff area towards the end of October and was wondering if anyone could recommend some pretty areas to see fall foliage.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Foliage in Flagstaff

If you drive out to the snow bowl area and go up to the top take a jacket and take the chair lift load of colors. Also Williams has some nice locations too.

www.flagstaffchamber.com

Arizona
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Foliage in Flagstaff

That sounds really nice. We will definitely take the ski lift up. Are there any other routes around the Snow Bowl area that you would recommend driving to see pretty foliage?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Foliage in Flagstaff

If you have time take the scenit 89a down to Sedona spend the day there and then come back up that drive is really pretty. Its about 35 mins give or take from Flagstaff to Sedona.

CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Foliage in Flagstaff

Isn't the end of October a little late for fall foliage? I thought, in this area, that the leaves turn around the end of September.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall Foliage in Flagstaff

End of October sound about right for autumn leaves in Sedona, but a little late for the Snowbowl.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall Foliage in Flagstaff

It depends on a number of variables, most of them rainfall-related but also due to temperature.

I went up there in mid-November one year ('05, I think) and the aspens were beautiful. The next week, it snowed.

You can also head to Lockett Meadow. It's slightly lower in elevation. fs.fed.us/r3/…lockett-meadow-camp.shtml

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall Foliage in Flagstaff

Favorite areas include:

Highway 180 (Flagstaff to Kendrick Park)

Snowbowl Road

The Inner Basin

Oak Creek Canyon

There is a lot of topography here, so it is possible to still have some leaves left at the end of October. Obviously, it varies annually and is impossible to predict.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,797 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fall Foliage in Flagstaff

We were in Flagstaff mid October and the leaves were past peak. Each year is different, hard to tell.

Enjoy even if there are few leaves!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fall Foliage in Flagstaff

I thought I'd bump this up and ask how the leaves are looking? We'll be there in two weeks and are keeping our fingers crossed for colours!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fall Foliage in Flagstaff

I put this link on a similar post. They claim to update it for us. Hope it helps some.

http://www.fs.fed.us/news/fallcolors/