We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Business TR: Flagstaff AZ 12/03-12/06

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Business TR: Flagstaff AZ 12/03-12/06

Hi gang! So I was recently hired by a Flagstaff based company and came down for orientation last week. Having lived at the Grand Canyon (7 years) and Lake Powell (15 years), Flagstaff was kind of like a second home, so I was quite familiar with the town already. So as such this report probably won’t reflect anything like the epiphany a tourist would have, but just a few observations that sightseers and other travelers might find useful. Came out to be longer than I thought, so will post as replies. Here goes:

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Business TR: Flagstaff AZ 12/03-12/06

@Tet14 - I always felt the same way about trains. When I was very young, my folks lived very close to a train track and I remember the nighttime whistles soothing me to sleep. So the noise in Flag didn't bother me so much, but others just hated it.

I now live a block from the Historic Railyards in Evanston WY (which began as a railroad town), and Union Pacific freight trains pass several times throughout the night. But their horns are very soft; half the time I hear them, half the time I don't. When I do, it just reminds me of being "rocked to sleep" as a kid by that lonesome whistle. But when those old-school steam trains come through (which they do 2-3 times a year), you can hear those whistles from 50 miles away!

Found an article on a train buff's blog that describes how Flagstaff addressed the issue of the train noise: "The city spent $885,000 to improve safety at the five railroad crossings through its downtown to earn approval of its proposed whistle ban. Trackside horns, designed to emulate the train horn but generate less noise, were installed at the crossings. A significant reduction in noise was observed, leading nearby Kingman, Arizona, on the same major rail line, to begin considering a similar quiet zone for its three downtown crossings."

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Business TR: Flagstaff AZ 12/03-12/06

bump by request

13. Re: Business TR: Flagstaff AZ 12/03-12/06

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, December 17, 2013