We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euro 2012 matches in Flagstaff and maybe Grand Canyon area?

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Euro 2012 matches in Flagstaff and maybe Grand Canyon area?

Hi everyone

Me and my girlfriend are desperate to watch the England 2012 football matches.

First one is Monday morning, 9am Arizona time. We'll be in Flagstaff or maybe further north around the Grand Canyon.

Any suggestions as to where we could watch the games? Yelp and Google are proving fruitless.

Cheers

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euro 2012 matches in Flagstaff and maybe Grand Canyon area?

There would likely not be a place at or near GCNP. 9 AM is kind of early for a sports bar, but you might be able to find one in Flagstaff with cable TV.

If I had never been here before, I would be "desperate" to see the Grand Canyon not football. But I understand.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euro 2012 matches in Flagstaff and maybe Grand Canyon area?

You will find those matches on ESPN. Here's schedule (in ET)

sportsmediajournal.com/2012/…

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Euro 2012 matches in Flagstaff and maybe Grand Canyon area?

Where are you staying? If your hotel has a breakfast room, you may be able to persuade the staff to switch off the news and put on the game.

If that doesn't work out, I'd try the Union at Northern Arizona University (Flagstaff). Although I haven't spent a lot of time there, I recall from my university days that there are usually rooms available for television watching and you may find like-minded individuals gathered around watching with you.

Last resort- if you are traveling with a laptop, there are a couple of places in town with free wi-fi where you could see if you can stream the game. Bookman's Entertainment (used bookstore) on Milton Ave. is one. Rendevous Coffee House in the Monte Vista Hotel downtown is another.

If I see anything about public viewing of the game(s), I'll come back and post again. I know it's better with a crowd.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Euro 2012 matches in Flagstaff and maybe Grand Canyon area?

Just checked Collins Irish Pub in Flagstaff. They generally open at 11 a.m.

http://collinsirishpub.com/index.aspx

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Euro 2012 matches in Flagstaff and maybe Grand Canyon area?

I had the misfortune to be in Europe for three weeks during the 2006 World Cup. Virtually every place, with the possible exception of churches and cemetaries, had a large screen set up. It was almost impossible to get a meal or even an espresso because everybody had their eyes glued to the screen.

Getting the news was worthless because "Skynews" and BBC led off every morning (I am not kidding) with the headline, "All England mourns" for an entire week.

The vast majority of Americans do not understand a game where you are not allowed to use your hands and/or arms. It is like you must be a T-Rex to play the game. That said, I believe all you must do is find a sports bar that opens for breakfast anywhere in town and you will get a front row seat for any game, including any that start as early as 09:00.

Edited: 2:03 pm, June 09, 2012
tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Euro 2012 matches in Flagstaff and maybe Grand Canyon area?

I checked listings for sports bars in Flagstaff and found none opening earlier than 11 am. Follow FlagstaffTraveler's suggestions.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Euro 2012 matches in Flagstaff and maybe Grand Canyon area?

It should be noted Bob lives in Tucson, 6-6&1/2 hours away from Flagstaff. Perhaps someone closer to the topic knows of a place that opens earlier than 11:00?

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Euro 2012 matches in Flagstaff and maybe Grand Canyon area?

I know Flagstaff but I don't know sports. I asked my husband, who is a soccer/football fan and he reminded me of Collins, as posted above.

I'll be sure to keep my eyes open, though!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Euro 2012 matches in Flagstaff and maybe Grand Canyon area?

Flagg: Perhaps your hubbie could ask Collins or some similar place if they would be willing to open early during those days. There might be one or two other European soccor/football fans who should show up.

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Euro 2012 matches in Flagstaff and maybe Grand Canyon area?

It should be noted that I usually do research before I answer questions if I don't clearly know the answer. Checking listings for Flagstaff for sports bars, and calling a few if they didn't list hours, I found that they all opened at 11 AM. The match the OP wants to watch is on ESPN. FlagstaffTrav made good recommendations above. Expecting a business to open early is rather far-fetched.