We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance from Flagstaff to Williams?

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, PA
7 posts
Save Topic
Distance from Flagstaff to Williams?

I am currently planning a trip to the Grand Canyon for our family - mom, dad, kids 11, 10, 5, and 1, and grandma. My children are very interested in the GC railroad (and I have read the varied reviews on this activity). I have read that Williams is about 170 miles from Phoenix (where we will fly into), but I am wondering how far Williams is from Flagstaff. From all I have gathered by reading, Flagstaff seems like a great place to stay. However, we also would like to stay a night or two in the park at the GC, and I am just trying to figure out how much driving we will be adding by making a trip to Williams for the train. We also plan to stay a night or two in the park at the GC. Does anyone know if I can arrange lodging myself separate from the train or if I have to get a package through them in order to travel on the train different days? Any help or recommendations you can make will be vastly appreciated!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance from Flagstaff to Williams?

Hi Spring

Its about 2 1/2 hours from Phx to Williams roughly comming up I-17 then getting on 40 going west. You might also want to take the kiddos to the Grand Canyon Deer Farm you will see it on the right hand side about 10 miles from Williams.

Its great for Kids that age they should get a kick out of it. For the little ones just to let you know there is a train robbery at the end of the ride and they can be a little noisy and do startle some of the younger ones. But all in good fun.

As far as driving its 40 mins from Williams to Flagstaff one way. Williams to the GC is roughly an hour give or take.

Yes you can arrange your own lodging but some times the deals are better. If you have AAA you can call them and see if they have discounts for spring break.

Hope this helps

dragonflyladyofarizona@hotmail.com

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance from Flagstaff to Williams?

dragonflylady is mistaken. actual driving time from flagstaff to williams is just under 30 minutes. assuming clear roads and that you are going the speed limit.

for an alternative train ride you may wish to try

www.verdecanyonrr.com

the grand canyon train isn't very scenic.

Reading, PA
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance from Flagstaff to Williams?

Thank you everyone for your most helpful responses! The drive to Williams from Flagstaff seems quite manageable. I have look at the other train option, but I am afraid the cheesey cowboy stuff that annoys some will probably be perfect for our group. Plus, my boys 10, 11, and husband) are big train buffs and love the idea of taking the train somewhere...meaning you debark at a destination. I understand the drawback is the realtively short time at the canyon, but that should not be a factor for us since we will be over night. Thank you, dragonfly lady, also for the info about being able to book train and lodging separate. I did call GC railroad directly after I left this post and they confirmed this for me. Since we will need 2 rooms and we do not want the food they include in their packages, I think separate booking will work better for us. Our trip is not until October, so I am sure I will have many more questions, but thanks so much for the speedy info!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance from Flagstaff to Williams?

Spring

If you are in Flagstaff and the "boys" love trains take them to eat at the Crown Rail Road cafe in the Walmart/Bashas shopping center. It has a model train that runs above your head. Its greasy spoon but the food is fantastic and the service has always been good the owners are really nice people.

dragonflyladyofarizona@hotmail.com

feel free to contact me if you have questions.