We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flagstaff day trips

Save Topic
flagstaff day trips

hi - my family is looking to tour from Grand Canyon to Santa Fe. Trying to figure out how much we should do from Flagstaff area on day trips. Is an overnight recommended at the Canyon? How many nights do you recommend in Flagstaff. I have 2 teenagers and we do like the great outdoors. Will it be too hot to do much during the day in July?

Thank you, in advance, for any advice you could offer!

AZ Adventure Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Angel's Gate Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Plateau Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Grand Canyon Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: flagstaff day trips

Hi

I would recommend one night at the canyon, www.xantera.com for lodgings in the park, this will give you the chance to catch the sunset and sunrise.

There is a lot to see and do in the Flagstaff area.

The Nat Mon's of Wupatki, Sunset Crater Volcano, Walnut Canyon, Tuzigoot and Montezuma Castle are all within easy reach of Flagstaff, as is a Meteor Crater.

Beautiful Oak Creek Canyon will bring you to Sedona. A jeep tour of the red rocks is almost compulsory here. A little further on you'll find the old mining town of Jerome, clinging to the side of the mountain, and at Clarkdale there is the Verde Canyon Railroad.

Check out www.flagstaffarizona.org for more ideas and www.nps.gov will give you information on all National Parks and Monuments.

How long you stay in the area depends very much on how much you want to see and do.

It will be hot in Flagstaff, 82f is the average, but because of the altitude not oppressively so.

Have a great time.

Tony

tony.grant2@ntlworld.com

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Clarkdale
Clarkdale
Arizona
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flagstaff day trips

Some great tips from Tony as always.

You're in a great spot for outdoorsy stuff. It will be warm but won't be the humidity you are probably use to. So you will feel the dryness. Just drink lots of water and sunscreen.

www.flagstaffchamber.com

www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/map.html

There is wupatki/sunset crater about 30 min to get there from Flagstaff via 89N twards Page. Takes about 2-3 hrs to enjoy.

Definately the GC. A must even for a day trip.

There is also the museum of Northern Az and Lowell Observatory. Also downtown Flagstaff is a great shopping area. On the weekends you can park in the bank parking lots downtown since they are usually closed.

www.azdailysun.com is the local flagstaff paper onlin and www.azcentral.com is the phx paper you can check for events in the calander for all of az on there.

Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Lowell Observatory
Lowell Observatory
1,584 Reviews
Flagstaff, AZ
Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: flagstaff day trips

bump

Save Reply
4. Re: flagstaff day trips

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone. My excitement is building & I can't wait to go! Right now, anticipating the warmth is getting me thru the winter! Thank you for all the links - I'm off to research!