We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lava River Cave....is it worth it....

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
lava River Cave....is it worth it....

How long does it take to get through the cave? Looks a bit scary! Am i stupid or has anyone ever see any of these boulders move and fall? Can you get trapped inside? My kids would love this, I may opt out...nervous nelly

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: lava River Cave....is it worth it....

If you are still arriving at 7pm the night before, staying in Phoenix, then heading out in the morning you should have extra time. You will have a full day to work yourself northward to the canyon, stopping where you feel you want to visit. If your itinerary has changed and you are arriving the same day as you are planning on going to the Grand Canyon, then that changes things.

I haven't been to lava river cave, but I can't imagine not taking kids to something as impressive as Wupatki and Sunset Crater. This would be a major learning stop along with an interesting stop too. You can see a cave anywhere. You can't see Native American ruins like these just anywhere though. A cave when you are about to take them to see the #1 wonder of the world? Sorry, but I think it would pale in comparison, and would suggest you utilize the time to show them ancient ruins. I don't see visits to ruins anywhere in your itinerary. And you won't need headlamps for the ruins either!

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: lava River Cave....is it worth it....

So if we leave phoenix on Sunday morning as planned and head to flagstaff, stop at rock springs cafe for breakfast, your suggesting sunset crater and wupatki? How long don we need at each place?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,034 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: lava River Cave....is it worth it....

Sunset Crater and Wupatki is a 2-3 hour detour off Hwy 89 between Flagstaff and Cameron on your way to the east gate of the GCNP.

Best diversion of those mentioned so far. Much better than caves IMO.

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: lava River Cave....is it worth it....

I personally like the lava caves. They are fairly remote, and not well known.

15. Re: lava River Cave....is it worth it....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, October 05, 2012