We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Need to re-arrange our plans quickly.

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! Need to re-arrange our plans quickly.

We are planning to be in Arizona for about two weeks, June 7 -20 spending a week in Flagstaff and then we WERE heading to Hannagan Meadow Lodge for 5 nights, then overnight in Payson before returning home.

Now, with the Wallow wildfire burning in the Hannagan Meadow area, we need to regroup and plan something quickly at the last minute.

We are planning to spend our time in Flagstaff hiking, going to the Grand Canyon, etc. and we could just extend our time in Flagstaff, but my husband doesn't think there will be enough to do to spend the extra time there. We've been to Sedona, and he's not crazy about going back there.

Anybody got any ideas? I was thinking about Prescott or maybe Payson but my husband wants to make sure there is plenty of good hiking in those areas.

Please help. Thanks.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,359 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! Need to re-arrange our plans quickly.

Have you been to the Grand Canyon? Plenty of hiking there. Prescott and Payson both have lots of hiking trails; you might also consider Show Low/Pinetop area. You have plenty of time; you could do Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon, (a full week in Flag is a bit much, IMHO); is your itinerary there flexible? How much of Arizona do you want to see? The Rim country is gorgeous, but I don't know how much you want to drive. You could do:

Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon (5 night total?)

Head from Flag down thru Oak Creek Canyon, past Sedona to Jerome. Lunch in Jerome, and wander around. Then on to Prescott

2 or 3 nights in Prescott area

Then head to Payson; 2-3 nights there.

Then head to Show Low/Pinetop for 2-3 nights, and drive home through the Salt River Canyon - very pretty.

Lots of hiking areas along the way; just Google each area's name plus "hiking" to find lots of suggestions, websites, and info. Many people have useful hiking websites and blogs.

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! Need to re-arrange our plans quickly.

Any possibility of heading up to Page/Monument Valley/Bryce/& Zion? A week would make a wonderful trip up there with multiple hiking opportunities.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,359 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! Need to re-arrange our plans quickly.

Yep, that's another good thought.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,514 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! Need to re-arrange our plans quickly.

I would choose Page and MV, and possibly Chinle for Canyon de Chelly

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,862 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! Need to re-arrange our plans quickly.

We are seeing smoke from this fire here in NM.

I'd consider Page and Monument Valley and possibly up to Mesa Verde NP and Durango.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP! Need to re-arrange our plans quickly.

Thank you all for the good suggestions!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,785 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP! Need to re-arrange our plans quickly.

I am sorry that your plans have had to change. Hannagan Meadows may not even exist as the eastern edge of the fire has overrun Hwy 191 right in that area. The Bear Wallow Fire is now over 100,000 acres and is in the western portion of the Apache Sitgreaves Forest next to the Ft Apache and San Carlos Indian Reservations. For people not knowing where this is, it is in the middle of the far eastern part of Arizona near the New Mexico border. This was a spectacular area with pine, spruce and fir forests and beautiful meadows at an elevation near 9000'. One of the hardest things to find online when these fires happen are maps of the exact location. The map in the following article is a day old; the fire is more than twice the size shown and is growing northeast towards the small town of Alpine.

wmicentral.com/news/…

A later map from this morning:

examiner.com/wildfire-in-national/maps-and-p…

Edited: 6:31 pm, June 03, 2011
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,862 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP! Need to re-arrange our plans quickly.

Thanks for the links Bob. We are having another afternoon/evening of smoke from this fire here in Santa Fe. I sure hope they get this contained soon.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP! Need to re-arrange our plans quickly.

We spent time at Hannagan Meadow Lodge during a previous trip to Arizona and had been so excited about getting to spend time there again. Our little inconvenience is nothing compared to the loss and devastation this fire is causing. I thought that area of the White Mountains was the most beautiful part of the state.

Oh, and after much discussion about all the ideas, we finally decided just to keep it simple and find a place to stay in Sedona. We decided that we'd rather spend more time exploring an area that we are already somewhat familiar with. We'll also visit Jerome and Prescott.

Thanks again for all the responses and the links to the maps.

Edited: 9:47 pm, June 03, 2011
10. Re: HELP! Need to re-arrange our plans quickly.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, October 04, 2012