We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day around Flagstaff w/car

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
221 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
One day around Flagstaff w/car

In August I will be dropping son off at college (NAUA) I figure after all the school shopping we should have one day to explore before I have to catch the plane back home. We will have a car and a very tight budget. I am looking for some fun things to see/do around Flagstaff, possibly all the way to Sedona.

Slide Rock sp looks interesting. Pink jeep is out of the question unfornately -not in the budget. Is there a pass that will get into several places? I was thinking about buying my son the national parks pass good for a year, not sure though. If you only had one day and it was August and was going to see your kid for the last time until possibly June, how would you spend it?

Edited: 11:38 pm, May 18, 2011
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
221 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day around Flagstaff w/car

That is NAU. Sorry, my fingers are faster than my brain!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,234 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day around Flagstaff w/car

Take a ride to the Grand Canyon NP or Sedona. I'd choose GCNP for a lone day if that's all you have.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
221 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day around Flagstaff w/car

We did Grand Canyon last year. What would you recommed for Sedona?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,234 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day around Flagstaff w/car

Go to the Sedona forum and read the Itineraries on the right side of the page. You'll approach Sedona via 89A in Oak Creek Canyon. Give Sedona as much of the day as you can and return to Flag again via 89A.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,304 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day around Flagstaff w/car

Sedona would be a nice day trip from Flagstaff. There is plenty of hiking in the area and you can buy a Red Rock day pass to cover many of the parking sites. After that, no charge.

If you would care to share what you think makes a great day, perhaps we can be more specific about suggestions in Sedona or otherwise. Plenty of Native American ruins sites, etc. in the area.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
221 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day around Flagstaff w/car

My son and I both enjoy being out in the great outdoors. We like hikes, but they must be pretty simple since I am out of shape!

Photo ops are great! We like to see different cultures and history. Pretty much you name it, we will try it! I like stuff that is inexpensive, LOL.

I guess I will have to do more research on the Sedona board. But I would still like to know what is close to Flagstaff (proper). I really don't care about going to a musem at this point and shoping is not on my list. -Although I will be going home with a t-shirt of two and definately some post cards to add to my collection.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,304 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day around Flagstaff w/car

Just outside of Flagstaff are a few national monuments worth visiting. You can be at Walnut Canyon NM in about 10 minutes by driving I-40 East bound. You'll see the signs for it. www.nps.gov/waca

On Hwy. 89 N you'll reach Sunset Crater and Wupatiki National Monuments in 20-25 minutes. www.nps.gov/wupa and www.nps.gov/sucr

Walnut Canyon and Wupatki are both dedicated to preserving Native American Ruins and are definitely worth your time. Sunset Crater is a geologic formation and is easily do-able in conjunction with Wupatki.

A national parks pass would be a useful gift given the treasures we have in the area, especially if your son will have a car.

Otherwise, pick up a good hiking book and set out on one of the many trails in and around town. We like Cosmic Ray's 50 Favorite Hikes in Flagstaff and Sedona (amazon.com/50-Favorite-Hikes-Flagstaff-Sedon…) which is usually available in grocery stores and bookstores.

Once settled in, your son will likely be spending a lot of time in downtown Flagstaff which has experienced a revitalization over the years and is historic and quaint. I would suggest grabbing lunch or dinner in the area and doing a little walking about before or after your meal. It should be quite pleasant (weather-wise) in August.

8. Re: One day around Flagstaff w/car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:39 am, May 22, 2012