We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyoneers Raft Trip

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
226 reviews
Save Topic
Canyoneers Raft Trip

we are thinking of taking a 7 day trip down the Colorado with Canyoneers. Can anyone recommend (or not) this rafting organization. Many than ks.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Canyoneers Raft Trip

I think audballa is right about having the luck of the draw as far as fellow passengers on a rafting trip. It is VERY tight quarters, and you have breakfast, lunch and dinner together every day as well as sitting cheek by jowl together everyday. Our raft had about 20 passengers, 3 crew and about 1/4 of the raft is off-limits for for food storage, fuel storage, communications gear and steering. My group was all a apart of a service group (from around the world) so we had a common mindset of cooperation and a common worldview. We also had returning rafters who clued us in from the jump that we needed to help the guides with meal clean up, loading and unloading the rafts (which is extremely physical labor). * That being said if we had chronic complainers, goldbricks or heavy partiers (with resulting hangovers) it would been a different trip. You are smooched together all day, every day.** On other rafting trips I have been on passengers jump off the boat and float or kayak along with the raft, thereby giving everyone a break from enforced togetherness. Because the water in the Colorado is in the 40's, you would become quickly hypothermic.I don't know what you would do if you were stuck with bad apples for 7 whole days. Do other trips offer fewer seats? Are they more expensive?

* re: helping the guides. The more you help the more time you spend on the river/or hiking to waterfalls. The more 3 people have to do to pack and clean for 23 people, the less time you have for fun. So just do it, and you will welcome the chance to stretch and use your muscles.

** At night everyone finds their corner of small camping spaces, so if you have partiers on board you cannot get away from them. There is a limit to how much booze one can bring. But still, if you get a group of howlers into the night; you aren't getting away from them.

22. Re: Canyoneers Raft Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 06, 2014