We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 night stay in Flagstaff or Sedona?

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
301 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
2 night stay in Flagstaff or Sedona?

We are not sure yet whether we will stay in Flagstaff or Sedona in July on our trip towards the Grand Canyon. We love smal, authentic towns. Which town would be the best for a 2 night stay with 2 older kids? (seeking a great 'old grandma' B&B or cheap Priceline resort with pools to relax)

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 night stay in Flagstaff or Sedona?

If you want hiking and scenery, stay in Sedona. The town is touristy, but once you are outside of town, the scenery is great.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 night stay in Flagstaff or Sedona?

Sedona is well known for it's scenic red rocks and outdoor activities.

Flagstaff is more historic, with a charming downtown and surrounds a college campus, which keeps it young and lively. There are nearby Native American Ruins, as well. http://www.flagstaffarizona.org/

I love Sedona for the hiking and beauty, but I think Flagstaff better fits what you say you are looking for. Look at reviews of B&Bs here on TA and try to stay in or near downtown. England House and Inn at 410 are both downtown.

Edited: 10:36 am, February 03, 2011
Level Contributor
301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 night stay in Flagstaff or Sedona?

Thanks a lot! We decided to stay in Flagstaff.

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 night stay in Flagstaff or Sedona?

Sedona is very HOT during the summer months. I think you will enjoy Flagstaff much more in July.

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 night stay in Flagstaff or Sedona?

Locals are biased towards their town, whether it be Sedona or Flagstaff. Take it from a fellow traveler, you want to stay in Sedona, no doubt about it.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 night stay in Flagstaff or Sedona?

cardfan- I try really hard to read what the person is after before making ANY recommendation. They clearly said they want a "small, authentic town". To me that sounds like Flagstaff.

If they'd said they wanted hiking, jeep tours and galleries or spas, I would have recommended Sedona, and I have before.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,073 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 night stay in Flagstaff or Sedona?

Most people have no idea what Sedona is. One can read trip reports and reviews and they can see pictures and videos, and they still are unprepared for what awaits them in Sedona. It's like no other place I've ever been. And I've been around and I've looked.

Those who say it's "touristy" are obviously unable to see beyond a two block long strip of shops and diners and timeshare hawkers.

Sedona is not a place to come to hang out at a resort pool. It's not about bars and nightlife. And while Sedona hosts a few million visitors every year and has a tourist driven economy, it is not IMO touristy. It's small town, but it's not .

Sedona is the surrounding beauty created by God and preserved, but shared with those who are lucky enough to come and spend time here. Had Sedona not been settled as it was over a century ago by hard working pioneers, it would probably be a national park today and not nearly as accessible as it otherwise is.

I am one of those who believes that everyone should have an opportunity to experience Sedona. I put up with occasional traffic back ups and gawking tourists, because I love to share the place that I live. It would certainly be nicer if there weren't so many people around. but then, they wouldn't know what they are missing.

If you decide to visit Sedona, try not to anticipate it. Come with an open mind, and give it time. Most people who do, wish that they could have more time in Sedona.

Level Contributor
301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 night stay in Flagstaff or Sedona?

Thanks for your reactions! Great!! This makes it an hard decision, however we try to see as much of the area in a relatively short time. Unfortunately, it wouldn't encompass many hiking tours due to medical reasons. We will discuss it again within the family :-)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 night stay in Flagstaff or Sedona?

Red Rox..Your advice as always is excellent. Maybe staying in Flagstaff like me and my son are in June, just for 2 days still gives the opportunity of travelling by bus from Flagstaff to Sedona..I have viewed many photos of the journey to Sedona and that of Sedona and will truly find it to be an amazing adventure

We are travelling by hire car however the bus will give you chance to see the natural beauty of Grand canyon

10. Re: 2 night stay in Flagstaff or Sedona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 08, 2012