We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary advice needed please

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
123 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary advice needed please

I stumbled across the tripadvisor site while planning this trip and have found all your info so useful. Could you look over these sketchy plans and let me know if it sounds reasonable? Thank you sooo much!

Flying into Tucson April 9 and spending a few days with grandma who lives there. Taking grandma, husband, me, two kids ages 7 and 10 and heading north on the 12th. Figuring it might look like this:

Day 1: drive to Phoenix to see brother-in-law

Day 2: drive to Flagstaff see Montezuma Castle NM and Tusayan, sleep Flagstaff

Day 3and4: sleep in Flagstaff and visit surrounding area (such as Cameron, Watchtower, Little Colorado River Gorge, IMAX and Bright Angel Trail hike...?)

Day 5-6:(Easter Sunday and Monday - a problem?) see Wupatki, Sunset Crater, Walnut Canyon and sleep in Flagstaff

Day 7: drive to Sedona by way of Oak Creek Canyon, hike, Pink Jeep tour, sleep in Sedona

Day 8: drive from Sedona to Phoenix visiting Tuzigoot and Jerome along the way; take mine tour in Jerome and in afternoon do Verde Canyon RR in Clarkdale

Day 8: head back from Jerome to Phoenix by way of Tuzigoot NM and Prescott (seems I have Tuzigoot in here twice!)

Day 9: get back to Tucson

Day 10: We fly out of Tucson on the 21st.

I've used lots of previous posts with Tony's itinerary advice to try to figure this all out. I need to start making reservations so am hoping some of you will let me know if this sounds at all doable.

Thank you!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary advice needed please

Montezumas caslte is in Camp Verde half way between Phoenix and Flagstaff well worth the stop. Tusayan is way past Flagstaff near Grand Canyon Entrance. I'd suggest

Day 1 Phoenix

Day 2 Phx to Montezuma's Castle/Well then to Flagstaff spend day in Flagstaff stay in Flagstaff..

Day 3 Drive to GC via 180 early in am and stay night in Canyon or Tusayan.

Day 4 explore GC and drive to Cameron and back to Flagstaff stay in Flastaff

Day 5 (Easter Sunday) go eat breakfast/Brunch at Little America Hotel on Butler i-40 exit its about $20 a person but its a champagne brunch and you eat until you almost can't move then load up again. The food is exellent! Drive out to Wupatki/Sunset crater walk off breakfast then back to Flagstaff for night

Day 6 Go to Walnut canyon and visit downtown flagstaff eat dinner at Charlie's downtown on Leroux St.

Day 7

Drive to sedona via 89A pink jeep tour www.pinkjeep.com eat lunch or dinner at Coffee Pot Resteraunt.

Day 8 Sedona to Tuzigoot, VVRR. You may not have time to see much in Jerome if you do the RR. If train gets back around 5 most things in Jerome might be closed. But that one is your call. Could you do Jerome in the am skip Tuzigoot then take the train which I think leaves around 1pm. This is the only problem I see on your itinerary so far. Other than that looks great!

Hope you have a nice time.