We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagstaff - Downtown Hotel?

London
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Flagstaff - Downtown Hotel?

Hi all,

I plan to overnight in Flagstaff later this month on route from Vegas to Santa Fe.

Can anyone recommend a decent downtown hotel (i.e. just a short walk from bars & restaurants). Don't need anything fancy, just parking, a bed and a shower should do! Ideally not more than $75.

Thanks.

Dave

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,998 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flagstaff - Downtown Hotel?

The locals may say go further away from downtown where there are stacks of budget motels and hotels but there are two old fashioned places that should be within your budget, The Monte Vista and The Weatherford. Take ear plugs though as the trains run all night!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flagstaff - Downtown Hotel?

I just got back yesterday. I stayed oustide Flagstaff at a b and b about 6 miles away, but came into town frequently. There are ton of motels along Route 66--for every budget.

Downtown does have a few places, there's a restored old hotel right in the center of thing (can't recall the name though). Lots and lots of great eateries and brewpubs. Late for the Train coffee is the best I have had in a long time, and it is locally roasted I was told, there are several locations. Also, don't forget the Museum Club/aka Zoo Club out on Route 66 (still in town, not in the center)---it's an old roadhouse still goijng strong, with c/w and other music, decent drinks and an ecletic mix of tourists, Route 66 bike folks, locals and everyone else who wants to enjoy. I stayed till they threw me out---was having too much fun dancing and talking to folks.

Check out the Flagstaff hotel/motel resommendations for more options. Enjoy!

Oh. THe trains. Yep, 100 plus a day. You can't help but hear 'em :)

London
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flagstaff - Downtown Hotel?

Cheers guys. I'll definitely check out the Monte Vista and the Weatherford (though can't find either of them on TripAdvisor).

The reason why I want to be downtown is just so I can go for a few beers without having to worry about driving back to a motel. The Zoo Club sounds interesting - any accommodation withing walking distance?

Ta.

Dave

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flagstaff - Downtown Hotel?

I met a couple from Phoenix who had motorbiked up. They were staying at the Howard Johnson's---next door. 3300 Route 66 is the address and it is in the local guidebooks.

And downtown is easily accesible by cab (not sure how much though). I recommend the club, for atmosphere alone. Back in the days before the interstates (when you got your kicks on Route 66), this was a well known stop for travellers and performers alike. My parents had stopped there, back in the 40's!

One last caveat. You're at altitude....6000+ feet so you may feel a bit odd. Drink lots and lots of water (not just liquids! ;) ) as that will help.

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flagstaff - Downtown Hotel?

Just FYI about Kittygals post--it's hard to get a taxicab in Flagstaff.

Also, alcohol has a stronger effect if you aren't used to the 7,000' elevation.

London
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flagstaff - Downtown Hotel?

Thanks guys.

I think I'm going to go for the Monte Vista - looks just my cup of tea.

Re. drinking at altittude - I'm fairly experienced at boozing at a wide range of elevations! Lived for quite a while at 5,000 feet in the Pyrenees, and spend several weeks a year at 6,000 feet getting my ski fix. The best thing about it is you don't have to spend as much!

Cheers all,

Dave

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flagstaff - Downtown Hotel?

The Monte Vista and Weatherford are both nice hotels downtown. I am sure you'll probably hear the trains. About cabs don't bother they don't hang out downtown like in NY or other larger cities. You have to call ahead 20 minutes. If you want a good resteraunt Charlies inside the Weatherford is awsome. Alpine pizza is good plus there are so many other varieties to choose from. Monsoons downtown will have bands on the weekend and is very lively. Hope you enjoy your stay Dave. By the way Flagstaff about 7200ft in elevation.