We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagstaff weather in Late October

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
86 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Flagstaff weather in Late October

Hi

After visiting Grand Canyon we were thinking of staying in Flagstaff for a few days to relax after a long fly drive trip. Thought we could drive over to Sedona etc but base ourselves here.

Has anyone any idea what sort of temperature we can expect here in Late Oct. We realise it is quite high up but it looked a nice area to stay in before we finally fly home from Phoenix to UK.

Thanks

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flagstaff weather in Late October

Hi and welcome to the forum

Flagstaff is a nice place to stay, many things to do but if you have never been to Sedona before that would be my first pick. Bit warmer as well in october which btw is a great time for a visit!

Tet

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,712 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flagstaff weather in Late October

If you plan to visit Sedona it makes more sense to use Sedona as your base. There's more to see and do and it's easier to get around. And as Tet14 said, then weather will be warmer and less likely to get bad in Sedona than at the higher elevation in Flagstaff.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flagstaff weather in Late October

Late Oct is iffy. There is some times snow and wind other times its still 60 deg. It just varries. Just be prepared to layer. Evenings willbe quite cool.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,572 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flagstaff weather in Late October

IMO, I agree with RedRox. Base yourself in Sedona. More to see. More to od. Nicer weather likely.

I have encountered snow in late October more than once in recent years in Flag and GCNP.

London
Level Contributor
86 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flagstaff weather in Late October

Thanks for all your replies. I have booked 1 night at Thunderbird Lodge on Wed 29th Oct. We will be driving there from LVegas via Hoover Dam so probably not going to arrive there until late afternoon which means we are not going to be able to see much at Grand Canyon (although hopefully Sunset). That would only give us 1 day to see canyon before heading on to next accommodation, which is why I thought Flagstaff would be good as we could travel back to Canyon if we wished to see more.

Now I am wondering if we should book another night at Grand Canyon.

We were hoping to find something like a self catering cottage/cabin for the 3 of us (we had seen some condos in Flagstaff) - can you give any recommendations. Where would be best locate ourselves.

We are flexible about our last few days - flying out from Phoenix on Mon 3rd Nov - so any alternatives/suggestions would be well considered!

Many thanks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,712 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flagstaff weather in Late October

One night and one full day at the GCNP is usually enough for a first time visitor, unless you plan to do some agressive hiking down into the canyon itself. Plan to drive out along the east rim and exit the park at the east gate and then continue on down to Sedona. You will find Sedona to be an excellent complimentt o your GCNP experience.

London
Level Contributor
86 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flagstaff weather in Late October

Thanks for that advice. I was worried because of short days we would not be able to see enough. Can you tell me what approx time will sunrise and sunset be at the end of Oct.

If we take your suggested route out of park how long would it take to drive down to Sedona or would you suggest and alternative destination before heading down there First time we have been to your area and don't want to miss something we really shouldn't.

Thanks again.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,712 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flagstaff weather in Late October

Find sunrise and sunset times at this website. You can use PHX for a good approximation.

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/

When leaving the GCNP allow a little over 2 hours to get to Sedona from the east gate. If you can arrive in Sedona at or just before sunset, you will have a perfect greeting from the red rocks when you arrive. And it's a good idea to arrive before dark since there is no street lighting in Sedona, and it can be intimidating for a first time visitor who doesn't know where they're going.

Will you be traveling with a GPS?

Where are you planning to stay in Sedona?

I'll post specific directions if you like.

London
Level Contributor
86 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flagstaff weather in Late October

We should be bringing GPS with us from UK (after downloading US maps). We haven't yet organised where we will be staying in Sedona.

We'd like to find a self catering cottage or something similar where we can relax and unwind after all the distance we will have covered.

Can I ask, is Monument Valley or painted desert a great distance from there.

Perhaps when we have organised accommodation I can take you up on your local knowledge again. You have been a great help.

Many thanks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,712 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flagstaff weather in Late October

You will be viewing the Painted Desert as you exit the GCNP at the east gate and driving down into it on AZ64. The Painted Desert NP is further to the east. Monument Valley is about a 3 hour drive to the north and east (away from your planned route to Sedona). It would require an additional overnight to see and experience.

Sedona has many timeshare accomodations that you can rent by the night. Most of these will include at least a partial kitchen, and in most cases a full kitchen/apartment arrangement. These resorts might be the best for your needs.