We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagstaff help

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flagstaff help

My partner and I are picking up her 92 year grandmother in Phoenix and headed to Flagstaff for three days in August. We need suggestions on things to do and places to see. We love art, museums, eating out, etc. but she has a wheelchair or walker so getting around is a challenge at times. Any thoughts?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flagstaff help

Flagstaff activities are not exactly handicap friendly as far as wheel chairs go. Flagstaff is a lot of outdoor walking activites. You can do the downtown area. And possible take her out to the ruins at Wupatki but I am wondering with her age is she going to be able to do ok with the high altitude. Flagstaff is 7200 ft in elevation and if she's not use to it it could become an issue and we don't want that with her. She'd be able to do the museum of Northern Az but would not be able to do Riordan mansion, too many stairs. There are numerous places to eat I highly suggest sitting outside and eating at Charlies on Leroux st its inside the historic Weatherford hotel. I work at a cardiology office and we see this all the time so make sure to call her dr and see if its ok for her to do the high altitude.

My go list has an interactive map of Flagstaff area. I don't know how updated it is since there are new shops downtown this year but it gives a general idea.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3541-Northern_…

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flagstaff help

Thanks for all your suggestions. She's not very frail and loves travelling but the suggestion of seeing her doctor is a good one.

How far is the drive to the Grand Canyon? My partner has never seen it.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flagstaff help

It's about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from Flagstaff to GCNP depending on which route you take. I think Wupatki is worth the small detour off the highway - then you can enter the park from the east.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,451 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flagstaff help

incomplete details .... wupatki to gcnp east entrance. first wupatki nm is not handicapped accessible, there are several sets of steps on the main pueblo trail. there is an overlook which is handicapped accessible which gives an overview. the trail through the ruin would be semi-dangerous assisting someone in a wheelchair as the steps are not uniform, and there are steep dropoffs at some points along the trail. there are other several ruins in wupatki nm which can be visited, but little can be seen without getting out and walking. same is true of sunset crater nm. driving through both of them is a 2-hour adventure.

so what is meant by wupatki to gcnp east - sunset crater and wupatki are north on hwy 89 from the east side of flagstaff. about 10 mi north to combined sc/wupatki nm entrance, or can enter just wupatki about another 15 mi further. the little town of cameron (and the cameron trading post which is handicapped accessible) is about 45 mi north on hwy 89 and at the intersection with hwy 64 which goes west to the east entrance to gcnp.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flagstaff help

I'm a teacher and my brain is fried at the end of this school year and I'm a little confused......

bobbear43 should we go via wupatki to gcnp east??? or is there a better way with with Grandma?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flagstaff help

travelnut1 - I'm a teacher too so brain fry is maximum right now!

My apologies for sending you off to Wupatki and Sunset Crater. I usually go there with 80 fourth graders so was not thinking clearly when I said it was worth going that way. We enjoy it but must be too challenging for a 92 YO.

Thanks, bobbear, for setting us straight!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flagstaff help

Thanks for all your help. So is there a "best way to go" from Flagstaff and a wheelchair friendly area once we get there?

8. Re: Flagstaff help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, September 28, 2009