We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Pizza??

CA
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Topic
White Pizza??

Knew a guy in college who was always talking about Old Forge "white pizza". How he couldn't wait to get home for his next fix. Not sure why this pizza deserved such high praise, but I'm curious to find out. I'll be passing through Scranton in August and thought I'd try it out. So locals where should I go and what should I order? Thanks.

Scranton, PA
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: White Pizza??

I'm not a big fan of white pizza myself.....white pizza is basically pizza with no sauce, and I think they put some type of spice on it....sometimes its double-crusted. For pizza in Old Forge, Revello's is very good....but pretty much you don't have to specifically go to Old Forge for pizza...."Old Forge style" pizza is basically a square pizza, cut into 12 square slices, and uses a blend of cheeses, including American cheese. It is much tastier than New York style pizza, in my opinion. However, you don't really need to specifically go to Old Forge for Old Forge style pizza, there are good pizza places all over the Scranton area. Good ones to try are Revello's on Main St in Old Forge, Two Brothers on E. Drinker St. in Dunmore, Tripp Park Pizza on Farr St. in West Scranton (a little take-out place) and Colarusso's, which has locations in West Scranton, Jessup, Avoca, and Clarks Summit. Those are some of my favorties anyways.

Northeast PA
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: White Pizza??

Hey Tiki - we meet again. (thanks for your San DIego input - re Six Flags & my teenagers)

Now, let me try to help you: My favorite is Arcaro & Gennell's white pizza in Old Forge, but like anything it is subjective. Enjoy.

CA
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: White Pizza??

Funny. It's been a while since I've been back in that area. Thanks to both for your advice. I already have plans to bring back Gertrude Hawk candy. I'll have to save some room in my suitcase for the pizza! Gotta give the white a try...

NEPA
Level Contributor
180 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White Pizza??

Pizza is a touchy subject - my thoughts are - whatever you grew up with is what you love, which would explain Grotto Pizza (bleh).

However, in Northeast PA, Old Forge pizza is regarded as the best in the area. Two places, both in downtown Old Forge, are generally regarded as classic Old Forge pizza, Rivello's and Arcaro & Genelle's. Both right on Main St.

Part of the appeal of those places is knowing they are almost exactly the same as they were in the '50's and 60's. For those of us that travel, think of places in Little Italy and Boston's North End BEFORE they were tourist places. These places are truly nostalgic one of a kind spots that our grandparent's went to when they were new to the country and that now we take our kids to because the food is so good.

They are both about 10 minute's off of the Northeast Extension and I81.

Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White Pizza??

Old Forge pizza IS the best!!! I know, I moved to Maryland 20 years ago, and everything we go 'home' we go to Old Forge. Arcaro and Gennell or Revellos. Can't go wrong. Actually, it is officially called the Pizza Capital of the World. No lie. They got the copyright or something.

If you can't make it down to Old Forge and you are in Scranton, check out Alfredos in South Side down the flats. Really as close to Old Forge pizza without the crowds.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White Pizza??

I remember looking at the white pizza, and thinking, so is this just bread and cheese then? I'm still a bit mystified! Go to the coal mine when you're in Scranton, I enjoyed that.

7. Re: White Pizza??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, August 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Scranton