We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation around Sitka?

Which Sitka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gulfport...
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation around Sitka?

Is Sitka small enough to walk to the different sites and restaurants? Or are shuttles available? We are interested in the Raptor Center and Baranof Island Brewing Co. and we are staying at the Super 8. How far is that? Is it an easy walk or need to take a shuttle or cab?

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation around Sitka?

I'm going to Sitka this Summer and we are staying at the Super 8, too. I'm planning on cabs and the shuttle (linked at the bottom). The Super 8 looks to be over half a mile from the Raptor Center and my folks aren't up for long walks, but if you are, that might be ok (assuming you don't mind walking in the rain- heh!).

Super 8 only looks to be about four blocks to downtown, though, so that's why I skipped renting a car. There is an Avis out by the airport, though. That was $200 for a day and a half, though, so I figured cabs and a bit of walking would be better.

http://www.sitka.org/plan/transportation/

http://publictransit.sitkatribe.org

Gulfport...
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation around Sitka?

Wow, thanks for the links!! Yes, walking is no problem for us. We will just be getting off a cruise of a week of hiking and kayaking through the northern passages! I just wasn't sure how the roads were. Are there sidewalks? I see there are walking paths all around the Historical Park and Raptor Center. But if we wanted to walk from the hotel to Ludvig's Bistro or Larkspur Cafe, are there sidewalks, is it easy to walk?

Alaska
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation around Sitka?

Hi there!

Walking from Super 8 to Ludvig's or the Larkspur is just a few easy blocks on sidewalks through "downtown" which has some great little shops & art galleries. Ludvigs is delicious! Especially after a hiking vacation--- you will have earned it! It's also pretty spendy and it wouldn't hurt to make a reservation. They also have an upstairs tapas and wine bar called Rios that's delightful (open Thurs, Fri, & Sat evenings, I think). Have a great trip and I hope you love visiting Alaska and Sitka as much as I loved visiting New Orleans!

Gulfport...
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation around Sitka?

Thanks LaskaLoLa!!

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation around Sitka?

Found more info.

Sitka - Rocky Gutierrez (SIT):

Location: On Japonski Island joined to Sitka by a bridge, 2 km/1 Mile WSW of Sitka town center.

On Foot: A very pleasant 20-25 min walk to the town center (subject to Alaskan weather!).

By Taxi: To town ~$8/5 mins. Sitka Cab +1 (907) 747 5001 & Hanks Cabs 747 8888.

By Bus: No public bus serves the airport, however when large cruise ships are in town, a Visitor's Transit shuttle runs around town every 30 mins.

By Shuttle Van: Sitka Tours Airporter Bus meets all Alaska Airlines Scheduled flights and runs into town (Hotels & Ferry terminal) for $6 one way, $8 return. Only runs May-September. Buses wait outside the terminal after flight arrivals. For pick up from town going to the airport or ferry terminal call the day before to arrange a pick up time. Tel +1 (907) 747 8443 or 747 7587.

Rental Cars: AVIS +1 (907) 966 2264 & North Star Rent-a-Car 966 2552 both have desks in the terminal building.

There's also a tour that takes you to the National Historical Park and explains the totem poles, then you can see a Tlingit dance and also go to the Raptor Center- $70 each for the whole she-bang. We like the idea of knocking several things out in a 3.5 hour timeframe so we'll be doing that.

Edited: 7:16 pm, June 03, 2014
Gulfport...
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation around Sitka?

Thanks alaskantiger! and definitely thanks for the phone numbers attached! I can just reference this post when I need them! :)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
382 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation around Sitka?

Sitka is very walkable. This morning we walked from the Super8 to the raptor center. We are in our 70's and didn't have a problem. We have walked from the Super8 down the Main Street several times. We had lunch today at the Westmark where we split halibut nuggets and a cesear salad. Delicious.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation around Sitka?

Thanks for the info, CT-Granny. My parents are both 70 this year and I didn't want to ask them to walk around more than necessary and wear them out only halfway through our trip. :) Good to hear that they aren't long walks (other than from the airport and I'm not surprised about that one).

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation around Sitka?

AT - the streets are flat along the main areas too :)

Port Alexander
Level Contributor
1 post
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation around Sitka?

Walking around Sitka is beautiful and easy! Unless you need to do shopping or want to visit both ends of town, which are about 13 miles apart. Then I suggest a car rental from Avis which is located at the airport across the bridge. DO NOT Rent a car from Northstar Car Rental. We have had numerous bad experiences with them. Online reservations mean nothing to them and they do not honor them. No one is available at their counter when your plane arrives ( this has happened twice to us and a few times to other friends, very embarrassing ) the phone number posted behind counter just rings and rings and no one ever calls back. We waited 2 hrs the first time and only 5 minutes this last time, because we rented from Avis right away. Avis was friendly, helpful, understanding and we even have a little dog. Avis NOT northstar :(