We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any helicopter tours originating in Sitka?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
39 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Are there any helicopter tours originating in Sitka?

From Sitka, I am beginning and ending an 8 day cruise on a small ship (Admiralty Dream). The only thing that is missing from its itinerary that I'd like is a helicopter ride to a glacier. Wondered what else is recommended if I stay an extra day. Don't want to spend money going far unless it is really special. Here is where we go from Sitka: Kake, Petersburg, Hobart Bay, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Orca Point Lodge, Glacier Bay National Park and back to Sitka.

Also, will be flying in from Seattle. What is likelihood that the flight could be delayed due to weather? Should I book a day earlier than Need to start with group?

This will probably be my only trip to Alaska. Want to have as many new experiences as I can in this short time.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there any helicopter tours originating in Sitka?

I would not book a helicopter tour in Sitka if I wanted to see glaciers......Juneau would be your best bet.......

Flights from Seattle are rarely canceled by weather.......once in awhile they are grounded during the winter if it is too foggy........but having an extra day will give you more time to see Sitka.......

Sitka, Alaska
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there any helicopter tours originating in Sitka?

Juneau has a huge icefield and is a much better place to view glaciers than Sitka. You can do a helicopter tour in Juneau while you're in port with several companies including Temsco, Coastal, & Era.

Flightseeing in Sitka is quite nice too but you'll see different things. Float plane tours are offered by Harris Air & Air Sitka.

There are plenty of things to do in Sitka if you'd like to add an extra day or two: dance performances, music concerts, hiking, bicycling, kayaking, ATV tours, charter fishing, wildlife & science education facilities, historical buildings, and more.

Sitka, Alaska...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there any helicopter tours originating in Sitka?

There are no helicopter tours available however Harris Air in Sitka offers a great flight seeing tour in a sturdy de Havilland Beaver or Cessna 185. Passengers will get the chance to see beautiful back country, glacier ice fields and wildlife such as mountain goats, bears, whales and sea otters. All tours include a water landing at a remote lake. Harris Air also has a company van, so you can call for a pick up!

granville
Level Contributor
2 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there any helicopter tours originating in Sitka?

I took a float plane ride to see the glaciers from Petersburg. It was an hour tour. Loved it.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there any helicopter tours originating in Sitka?

Welcome to the forums Rene......you must have some really big sea otters down your way if you can see them from an airplane !

Sitka, Alaska...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there any helicopter tours originating in Sitka?

Thanks for the welcome mombear, I guess I should have clarified that Harris Air is able to customize your float plane trip to include a low level seaplane flight if sea otters are on your hope to see list!

7. Re: Are there any helicopter tours originating in Sitka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 13, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Sitka