We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheldon Jackson Museum transportation

Nevada
Level Contributor
7 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Sheldon Jackson Museum transportation

How do you get from the cruise ship dock to the Sheldon Jackson Museum? Is there a city bus?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,067 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheldon Jackson Museum transportation

As I recall, it is within walking distance of your ship.......you can look it up on Yahoo maps to be sure.......

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheldon Jackson Museum transportation

There is a community transit bus in Sitka that can take you to all the sights. It makes 30 minute rounds and starts 30 minutes after the cruise ship arrives in port. the cost is $10 for a day pass. http://www.travelsitka.com/bus-schedule.html. Mombear is right, though, it's a quick ten minute walk from the docks along the waterfront. Don't miss it. It may have the most spectacular and comprehensive collection of native artifacts in the state and the displays are thoroughly charming as are the staff. I love this museum!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,433 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheldon Jackson Museum transportation

And on the way there or back, try to take in a tour of the Russian Bishop's house. I really enjoyed that too.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,157 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheldon Jackson Museum transportation

There's also a small hatchery that's quite interesting, on the way to the museum.

Nevada
Level Contributor
7 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheldon Jackson Museum transportation

Thank you all for a quick and very usefull reply.The travelsitka site is one that I didn't know about. It has a good variety of maps too. I will print these to take with us. Looking forward to visiting the inside passage ports. Trip Advisor is a wonderful sharing/informative community. We all look to TA for travel news/reviews and info!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,433 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheldon Jackson Museum transportation

To help give back, you can post a trip report when you return!

Nevada
Level Contributor
7 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheldon Jackson Museum transportation

We got the city bus day pass and went to the museum! I wish I had more time there! So much history and interesting items on display. The docent was very informative too. Don't miss this museum and use the city transport!

Sitka, Alaska
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheldon Jackson Museum transportation

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Sitka, and just remember... you can always come back! Many folks who visit us on a cruise ship make plans to return via Alaska Airlines or the Alaska Marine Highway ferry system.

Sitka really is an exceptional place with an amazing sense of community. But be aware, some people who have come as visitors end up moving here. Take me, for example. I've been "visiting" for the last 20 years! =)

Safe travels!

Nevada
Level Contributor
7 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheldon Jackson Museum transportation

Yes Sitka Visitors, a cruise ship is a few hours of "taste" in a port in Alaska, that was a major dissapointment. The Marine HWY ferry is the way to go I see now. Cruising is very nice except for Alaska, we didn't stay in port long enough there to see much. Hope to visit again (and explore) but next time it will be by ferry so we can stay as long as we want !

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheldon Jackson Museum transportation

I'm very interested in this thread so thank you 3bear for a follow up. In July we’re arriving in Sitka by ferry with our own car and staying a whole week so it looks like we should have time for more things to see and do. There are also plentiful hiking trails and from what I learned so far they are well maintained. We are planning to go on wildlife boat tour and hiking to Sea Lion Cove accessible only by boat with Sitka Sound Tours.

Edited: 8:58 am, June 22, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Sitka
Recent Conversations