We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you stayed in a Forest Service cabin in Alaska?

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Have you stayed in a Forest Service cabin in Alaska?

We're staying at one of the Forest Service cabins near Sitka. Does anyone have advice or experiences to share on staying in these very rustic (ie: no electricity, plumbing, heat) cabins?

california
Level Contributor
12 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Have you stayed in a Forest Service cabin in Alaska?

Hi all---spouse of the original poster here. Thanks for the info on fishing and our Ursus friends. A buddy said that mouse traps are helpful in the cabins, I have quick-drying caulk for the boat leaks, we're renting a 4HP long shaft motor, have two backpack propane burners, and will have life vests and some pepper bear spray. And TP, light fishing gear and wine. Should I include a couple light weight backpack chairs? Other suggestions?

Not Passive

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Have you stayed in a Forest Service cabin in Alaska?

I can't remember when you'll be there. Although I don't like them, a lot of cabin users are fans of mosquito coils. I like to bring a little duct tape wrapped around a pencil to patch window screens if necessary. Plus the pencil is nice to write in the cabin journal.

california
Level Contributor
12 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Have you stayed in a Forest Service cabin in Alaska?

Fishing at Lake Eva....any info on fishing the regional lakes etc. would be appreciated. We expect to use barbless (is barbless a requirement for artificial lures in AK?) flies and lures...with fly rods as well as light spin tackle maybe 6-8lb test). Any suggestions on flies or lures (size, color and type) is welcome. I do have a copy of regs.

Thanks

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Have you stayed in a Forest Service cabin in Alaska?

You might want to get in touch with your float plane company about tackle for Lake Eva since they would know the area.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Have you stayed in a Forest Service cabin in Alaska?

I know I am joining this thread late, but can anyone recommend their favorite state park cabin near Juneau. What are the nicest cabins or nicest locations for hiking, scenery, fishing?

Thanks.

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Have you stayed in a Forest Service cabin in Alaska?

My favorite near Juneau is the Tiger Olsen cabin in Taku Harbor. It's also one of the most used in the area. Access will be by float plane or boat charter, and you'll probably want the boat around to fish out on the bigger water for salmon, halibut, etc. when you're not hiking and fly fishing the nearby lakes and streams.

There's a whole forum section devoted to write-ups and peoples' experiences at these cabins over at www.CanCanCase.com if you're researching them in depth. Also, fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/cabins/cabinlist.shtml has full descriptions for the Federal park cabins, and dnr.state.ak.us/parks/cabins/south.htm#sismp for the State cabins.

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Have you stayed in a Forest Service cabin in Alaska?

We're back from Lake Eva -- it was wonderful! We were delighted with the deck and fishing platform and the lake was spectacular. We didn't see any bears (much to my relief). Thank you all for the information, which was all very helpful. I kept remembering the words of "mombear" in this forum who said the saddest part is the sound of the float plane coming to pick you up. she was so right. It was with a heavy heart I left this paradise!

18. Re: Have you stayed in a Forest Service cabin in Alaska?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, September 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sitka