We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sitka October

Which Sitka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sitka October

I am going to Sitka for a meeting on September 29 - October 3, 2007. How is the weather during this time? Is it best to flight directly into Sitka or Juneau? Any information for this trip is appreciated.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
96 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sitka October

I think you'll have to fly into Sitka. Your only other alternative is to take the State Ferry from Juneau, as you can't drive there (although the ferry could be a scenic alternative.)

Weatherwise, don't know. Probably fairly cool, and rainy. Although it is a very pretty place, and hopefully you will get some sun. Nice trails to walk around at the National Historic Park (totem poles on display) and in the Starrigavan Bay area.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
140 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sitka October

Jordon,

Your best bet will be to fly direct to Sitka. You will find Sitka to be a small Alaskan coastal town. If the weather is nice the views are outstanding. Hotel choices etc. are limited. I would recommend the Westmark in Sitka. It is downtown and within walking distance of just about all of the area downtown. Due to the time of year you are traveling, many of the local tourist shops may be closed, but many are open year round. Take clothes you can layer as the weather can range from the teens to 60+ and ALWAYS have a raincoat or umbrella. Weather changes fast in Southeast Alaska.

There is no real reason to rent a car unless you need to travel to and from the airport numerous times or need the freedom of a car.. The airport is located on an island away from the town itself (maybe 2-3 miles) Most places are an easy walk or a $5 cab ride from the downtown area.

If you have a free afternoon, just take a walk along the pier and strike up a conversation with one of the folks on boat. Many are very friendly and will always point you in the right direction or offer you a tour or a ride out into the bay etc.

I hope you enjoy your trip to our GREAT state

3. Re: Sitka October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, September 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sitka