We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Independent Travel Inside Passage in May 2007

Which Sitka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Independent Travel Inside Passage in May 2007

My husband & I will be travelling to Alaska in May 2007. The land tour part of the trip works Ok - Round trip Anchorage to Valzez,then across to Whittier & back to Anchorage. BUT we can't get the Inside passage part to work with the Ferry system so far!! We would prefer to use the Ferries, not a big cruise ship. We will be travelling from Australia and are hoping a local person may be able to help??

We arrive in Juneau on May 19 (am) There appears to be a ferry to Skagway that afternoon 1.30pm and we can return to Juneau on May 21 via Haines which makes it a long trip . We can then either got to Sitka on May 23 or May 26. WOULD THERE BE MORE TO DO FROM SKAGWAY OR JUNEAU?? Are there any other ferries which run daily between Skagway & Juneau?

Presuming we travel by ferry Juneau/Sitka on May 26, the shedule does not appear to let us go in mostly daylight hours to Petersburg & Wrangell, an area we have been told is very beautiful. Is there any other way aside from a small plane(my husband get motion sickness) of us being able to get to Petersburg, stay over 1 day and then to Wrangell. If we flew Sitka to Wrangell are there day trips of any sort back to Petersburg? Also, what are the "must see"places to visit in this area. I am doing a lot of reading but feel there is nothing as good as local knowledge. Regards LW

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Independent Travel Inside Passage in May 2007

Is it too late for you to change your flight and fly directly into Juneau? That port deserves a good day and a half, with the Mendenhall glacier. The you can take a ferry north to Skagway, and venture into the Yukon.

Unless you are really interested in the Russian influence on the great state of Alaska, I wouldn't be so eager to go out of the way to visit Sitka (IMO).

The Ferry system is rather limited, and the popular schedules tend to book quickly, as I discovered when planning my trip last year.

I'm sure others will jump in to offer feedback.

Best of luck.

2. Re: Independent Travel Inside Passage in May 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, August 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sitka