We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Sante Fe in July

Which Santa Fe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
558 posts
25 reviews
Sante Fe in July

My spouse will be attending a conference, and we will be driving our own car and staying on the Plaza. We're not "into" shopping or art (a biggie in Sante Fe, I know) and are outdoorsy, but I will be on my own for much of the time. I' m wondering what to do on my own and what to save for enjoying with my spouse. I do like history and historical buildings. Horseback riding as a way to cover more backcountry miles is fine, too (especially if with a group since I may be solo). Also, any hints for obtaining coupons and discounts on attractions, activities and restaurants? Thanks!

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
275 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Sante Fe in July

You didn't mention this kind of thing, but you might consider driving down to Tent Rocks parks, not too far southwest of Santa Fe just off I-25. The "tent" rocks (small mountains, actually) are absolutely spectacular, and the fairly short hiking trail takes you right through them. And there's Bandelier National Monument, really close to Santa Fe and a prime example of old Pueblo culture and dwellings.

Santa Fe, NM
Level Contributor
249 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Sante Fe in July

With any luck, summer weather pattern (afternoon rain & thunder) will set in by July. Plan on your outdoor activities for morning, especially places like Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks which puts you up on an exposed ridge for big views at the end of the short trail. Fabulous place, but don't want to be there for lightning!

Lots of possibilities--see santafe.org for a good list.

Atascadero...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Sante Fe in July

There is a spectacular place for a hike named Diablo Canyon just 15 minutes west of town. Much of the entry drive is on a gravel road, so consider that. Its pretty level and after passing through the canyon its a wide open hike in the arroyo down to the Rio Grande for a dip if that's your cup of tea. There is horseback trail riding just southwest of town in Cerrillos.

The mountains to the east of town offer literally hundreds of miles trails easily accessed from paved roads at the edge of town.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: Sante Fe in July

Bandelier National Monument , kind of west /south west of Santa Fe (near Los Alamos) is really interesting and you can do a long or short walking tour.... anasazi cliff dwellings. very cool.

USA
Level Contributor
558 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Sante Fe in July

Thank you all. What historical buildings or museums within walking distance of the plaza do you recommend as must see or skip? Any recommendations for guided horse trips into the backcountry?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,217 posts
48 reviews
6. Re: Sante Fe in July

July is good time to visit and the afternoon/evening rains help cool down the temps. Historic buildings are all over the downtown area. Have a meal or drink at Casa Sena in a beautiful historic courtyard, lunch for sure at The Shed, in another old building. See the cathedral, oldest church, Palace of the Governors/NM History Museum. Check on www.santafe.org for more ideas and information.

Madrid, New Mexico
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Sante Fe in July

The Palace of the Governors is right on the plaza and is now a museum. Next door to that is the New Mexico History Museum. Both are very nice and provide a lot of history on New Mexico. They have a discount if you buy a ticket to visit both. The Loretto Chapel is also nearby, maybe 3 blocks off the plaza, and it has an interesting history but you won't need to spend too much time there.

For a horse ride you can drive down to the town of Cerrillos which is about 30 minutes south of Santa Fe. The ride will take you up into the Cerrillos Hills which have been mined for hundreds of years, if not longer. Turquoise, opal, silver, etc.. have all been found there. You'll travel through the Cerrillos Hills State Park which, if you prefer, you could hike instead. Look up Broken Saddle Riding Company. If you are without a car (I don't know if you'll have one or not?) there is a shuttle, "The Blue Bus" that goes from Santa Fe to Cerrillos and Madrid. It only stops there twice a day though, it's a relatively new thing right now.

Bandelier and Tent Rocks are both worth doing. I'd give Bandelier a full day if you go. Tent Rocks only requires half a day so you can do another activity that day too.

For coupons for restaurants look up Groupon or Living Social. It's hit or miss though, I don't know if some of the more popular and established restaurants will offer coupons on those sites.

The mountains northeast of Santa Fe offer great hiking. You can just drive up to the Ski area and hike there too. It's beautiful in the summer (no snow, cooler and greener than the city) but be aware of the weather. I've been up there during a thunderstorm and it is a little scary, the clouds are JUST above you. As mentioned before, definitely anticipate afternoon thunderstorms so head out early for long day trips outdoors. The rain usually doesn't last long but in July it does rain for a little bit almost every afternoon.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: Sante Fe in July

The New Mexico History Museum/Palace of the Governors is on the Plaza and not to be missed! The history Museum is quite extensive, several visits maybe required. The portal program in front of the Palace of the Governors features local Native artists, a unique opportunity to buy directly from the artist- it's wonderful to browse. Fine art lovers can get their fill and the New Mexico Museum of Art and Georgia O'Keeffe. There are several riding stables- santa fe.org will have ll details,

9. Re: Sante Fe in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 01, 2015