We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel time from Santa Fe to Albuquerque Airport

travelingcats14
Level Contributor
151 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Travel time from Santa Fe to Albuquerque Airport

Visiting Santa Fe the first weekend in April planning to stay Friday and Saturday nights and leave early on Sunday AM to fly out of Albuquerque. Driving with a friend who will drop me off at the airport on Sunday morning and go on to drive south to meet other friends in New Mexico. Have booked an 8:20 AM Southwest flight. What time do I need to leave Santa Fe on Sunday morning to comfortably make the 8:20 flight? I am a worrier and tend to always leave lots of time to get to the airport. My friend who is driving has never been to the Albuquerque airport so there may be issues in finding our way. Fortunately we will not be dropping off any rental cars as my friend is going on with the car.

Many thanks for your advice on this.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,474 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel time from Santa Fe to Albuquerque Airport

It is 1 hour drive from Santa Fe, then plan 1/2 to 3/4 hour to check luggage/get boarding pass if needed and get through security. It is such an easy airport to get through. Southwest boards about 1/2 hour before departure time. Takes about 5 minutes to walk from security to the SW gates.

So...leave Santa Fe at 6am and you should be just fine unless of course there is a winter storm! Watch local news, check roads/weather conditions and if it looks really bad either get to Abq the day before or just stay put and enjoy another day in Santa Fe!

It is very easy to find the airport in Abq. Head south on I25 from Santa Fe, stay in middle lanes until past I40 interchange. Then watch signs for Sunport. Sunday morning should be very quiet that time of day.

Edited: 8:41 pm, December 28, 2013
travelingcats14
Level Contributor
151 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel time from Santa Fe to Albuquerque Airport

Thank you for the information. Looks like we will stay in Santa Fe on Saturday and head out Sunday AM.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel time from Santa Fe to Albuquerque Airport

I always leave 2 hrs just ti be safe. As Casa Azul mentioned, the drive is 1 hr. I like a little extra at the airport, although it is a small-ish airport and not too crowded. However, if many planes take off around the same time (might be the case with an 8:20 flight) it can get (slightly) congested with security.

Yes, it is easy to get to the airport. On I-25, Santa Fe is Exit 278 (Cerillos Road) and the airport is exit 221. It says "Sunport" (name of airport), is clearly marked, and less than 5 minutes to terminal drop off.

Santa Fe, NM
Level Contributor
249 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel time from Santa Fe to Albuquerque Airport

Travel time to the airport from Santa Fe is 1 hr for those who know the route. It's not difficult, for sure, but you might want to budget in a little cushion just for the worry factor. I missed a flight once in the first year we lived out here because of a wrong turn/diversion.

I'd suggest not leaving later than 6am, especially if this is during spring break season when the airport can be more busy.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,474 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel time from Santa Fe to Albuquerque Airport

Good point about Spring Break. Santa Fe Public Schools start their break that weekend, but UNM has theirs earlier in March and Abq Public schools are later in April.

travelingcats14
Level Contributor
151 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel time from Santa Fe to Albuquerque Airport

Thanks to all who responded. Seems like I can get up and leave by 5:45 to make the 8:00 AM flight.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel time from Santa Fe to Albuquerque Airport

it's about an hour to drive from Santa Fe to Albuquerque. I would leave no later than 6:30am. Happy travels!

8. Re: Travel time from Santa Fe to Albuquerque Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 01, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Santa Fe