We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique shops for local jewelry

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Unique shops for local jewelry

Any suggestions for local jewelry and/or souvenirs? Anything I MUST see?

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unique shops for local jewelry

For authentic jewelry & souvenirs, the outdoor market along the portal of the Palace of the Governors on the plaza where one can meet the artists is a must, in my humble opinion.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,894 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unique shops for local jewelry

Also look at the Museum Shops at the various museums. Authentic and fair pricing. Watch out for any place with "Going out of business" signs. On the Plaza is Santa Fe Goldworks with beautiful inlaid turquoise and other stones jewelry, a long time Santa Fe Business. Check for more shopping options at www.santafe.org

Mentioned in this post
The Plaza
The Plaza
2,427 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unique shops for local jewelry

Despite many years away from the State of New Mexico, I do have a history with Santa Fe that dates back to the late 60's. One of my greatest disappointments when I returned nine years ago was the loss of integrity in the Native American arts, crafts and jewelry in Santa Fe! Be very cautious of foreign owned shops selling merchandise with no ties to the Native Americans.

Mentioned in this post
New Mexico
New Mexico
United States
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unique shops for local jewelry

I always make a stop at Ross Lewellen, just off the plaza. It is interesting local jewelry. Often Ross or his daughter, Laura, who are the jewelers, are in the shop.

http://www.lewallenjewelry.com

Their work is not traditional jewelry, in the sense of Native American, I would almost call it "whimsical." The father and daughter design new jewelry from inspiration from their annual vacation (Celtic inspired, fishing inspired, etc.) but their most famous (I own a few) are the "Ascent" bracelets, made after mountain climbing vacation. It is made from colorful climbing rope, with handmade charms. The make dog collars, baby bracelets, and adult bracelets, and if you wear one around Santa Fe everyone knows where you got it. I've had one for 20+ years. They also sell earcuffs (one ear only) and claim they invented them (?)/

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Carlisle...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Unique shops for local jewelry

Keshi, "the Zuni Connection," is just a short distance from the Plaza and a must-see:

http://www.keshi.com

Most but not all of the artists whose work is sold there are from the Zuni Pueblo, and the level of artistry is amazing. Although perhaps best known for its wonderful selection of fetishes (small carved animals), the shop offers jewelry as well. Check out a sample of the selection on their website. Although prices can reach four figures, most are much, much lower. You can find lovely, one-of-a-kind souvenirs there for under $50.00. And as a bonus, you'll meet some of the nicest people in Santa Fe.

Mentioned in this post
Keshi
Keshi
200 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
The Plaza
The Plaza
2,427 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Pueblo
Pueblo
Colorado
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Kentucky
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Unique shops for local jewelry

Ditto on Keshi, my wife's favorite. Would also echo Palace of Governors where locals are selling their own jewelry.

Mentioned in this post
Keshi
Keshi
200 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
480 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unique shops for local jewelry

Echoing Neil's comment "... the loss of integrity in the Native American arts, crafts and jewelry in Santa Fe! Be very cautious of foreign owned shops selling merchandise with no ties to the Native Americans."

For old pawn I trust Rainbow Man, Shiprock and Ortegas. I avoid the flea market now as it has pieces made in China but made to look like old Native American jewelry and the vendors try to sell it as Native American.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Rainbow Man
Rainbow Man
57 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,039 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unique shops for local jewelry

An interesting article with some helpful info can be found at medicinemangallery.com/Collection-Old-Pawn-J…

And for identifying mark info - art-amerindien.com/signature_bijoux_amerindi…

imho, if it doesn't have identifying marks it's probably not the real deal and should be priced and considered as costume jewelry.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unique shops for local jewelry

Denalicat is right. Buy from the folks under the portal at the Palace of the Governors for authentic Indian jewelry and crafts. It is the only place where you can be certain that you are buying from the actual maker. Even some of the high end stores in Santa Fe are selling things that are not authentic. The other option is to drive up to the pueblos.You can also do some research and visit some small communities like Chimayo and Cordova to find some authentic New Mexican weavings, carvings, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Palace of the Governors
Palace of the Governors
833 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
San Frantastic
Level Contributor
949 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unique shops for local jewelry

There's a lovely jewelry store on Canyon Road I always go to when I'm in Santa Fe.

http://www.tvgoldsmiths.com/

Mentioned in this post
Canyon Road
Canyon Road
3,450 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico