We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary advice, tent camping, help please

Chicago
Level Contributor
280 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary advice, tent camping, help please

We're planning a quick visit in June (Sat pm- Tues pm) with our 11 year old daughter and could use some advice. While we don't want to miss old Santa Fe, we want to spend the bulk of our time outdoors- hiking in Bandelier is a must, other area hikes, a visit to Taos Pueblo, maybe even the Cumbres/Toltec RR (but probably only the shorter Sunday ride), a hot spring if we could would be soooo good. My daughter would love a horseback ride. We'd like to camp, but don't know where to look. We've seen lots of nice first-come-first-serve sites online, but as we're not arriving until Sat afternoon we don't want to risk not having a reservation. Can anyone recommend campgrounds that take reservations? One spot to use as a base camp would be good but we don't mind pulling up stakes and moving around, either. Thanks for any advice you can send our way.

Chicago
Level Contributor
280 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary advice, tent camping, help please

Seems I was misinformed... both Hyde Memorial and Black Canyon cgs take reservations. In your opinion (s) would these serve well as a spot to camp when exploring Santa Fe, Taos, Bandelier?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,164 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary advice, tent camping, help please

Yes both places are very nice and would be a good base for Santa Fe area. Hyde Memorial State Park has a ranger onsite and some pretty sites. Early June can be chilly at night up there. I would say about 20 minutes from the Santa Fe Plaza. Near there is Ten Thousand Waves Spa while not a hot springs, they have wonderful hot tubs etc.

Bandelier has a campground that rarely fills and also some campgrounds in and around the Jemez Springs area.

jemezsprings.org/recreation/…134-camping.html

Chicago
Level Contributor
280 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary advice, tent camping, help please

Thank you for your feedback. Are we talking snow, or just 40's or so? We've run into some 30's in July in CO, so I want to make sure I don't freeze my fellow campers and end up with a mutiny on my hands. Maybe Black Canyon would be a warmer option. One interesting thing- The recreation.gov site says that Hyde has showers, but when you click for site details, it says the showers are 8 MILES away... that's quite a hike for a shower!

Are there any other campsites in the area you would recommend?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary advice, tent camping, help please

More central to your needs and warmer ... Would be the BLM, Orilla Verde sitesalong the Rio Grande off the 68 at Pilar...South of Taos... Showers ? what showers ? ... carracar

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,164 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary advice, tent camping, help please

No real possibility of snow but nights in 40's and 50's. But with the strange weather who knows! I don't know about showers, but probably they are recommending the city rec center in town. The campground carracar recommended is very nice and clean. They have showers and shaded sites and is between Espanola and Taos.

Chicago
Level Contributor
280 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary advice, tent camping, help please

So many choices, so little time! This little trip is quickly turning into a recon mission for a longer trip next year. Thank you guys for your input.

Santa Fe, NM
Level Contributor
249 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary advice, tent camping, help please

Really hate to raise this possibility, but with the dryness of the past season there is some likelihood of forest closures in June unless we get some appreciable moisture soon. Bandelier mostly stays open, as do BLM properties, even when USFS places close.

Chicago
Level Contributor
280 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary advice, tent camping, help please

Thanks for the heads up. We'll keep an eye on that.

9. Re: itinerary advice, tent camping, help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 11, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Santa Fe