We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Family of 4 (Boys ages 6 & 12)

New York
Level Contributor
488 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for Family of 4 (Boys ages 6 & 12)

We are in the beginning stages of planning a July trip to Santa Fe area, and would welcome suggestions for things to see and do. For Hotels, we are currently considering the Hyatt Tamaya for 3 nights, the Courtyard by Marriott Sante Fe (two nights using points), and the El Monte Sagrado (3 nightsusing points).

Thanks for your help Santa Fe board!

Santa Fe, NM
Level Contributor
249 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Itinerary for Family of 4 (Boys ages 6 & 12)

Great ideas here. Just one update for Bleicherblog : Sunrise Springs and their charming restaurant has folded recently. A little too far-flung from the SFe scene I guess to stay in business.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Itinerary for Family of 4 (Boys ages 6 & 12)

I agree with Bishop's Lodge as a more "family/resort" type of place.

Too bad about Sunrise Springs - I loved that place. We actually spent New Years Eve there a few years ago and greeted the New Year in one of the hot tubs with sky and stars above.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Itinerary for Family of 4 (Boys ages 6 & 12)

BTW, while I strongly recommend Bishop's Lodge, the term "just down the road" is a NM expression which really mean 3 and a half miles. No matter, it is a lovely drive into the Sangre de Christo foothills with great views, and halfway to the famous little town of Tesuque.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Itinerary for Family of 4 (Boys ages 6 & 12)

Hiking. I'm sorry to hear this. One reason I suggested calling ahead was that I knew the restaurant, Blue Heron, had some history in the past of seasonally closing until they got a new chef. The last two times we found ourselves there it was very very good, but I think you are saying the entire inn & spa is also closed, which would be a shame.

Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
480 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Itinerary for Family of 4 (Boys ages 6 & 12)

I understand CA's motto of "stayontheplazaordon'tstayatall" but I also know what it's like to travel with a 6 and 12 year old...in New Mexico. Unless they are really, really into history (and I suspect not), you will need to stay somewhere that offers a pool and other amenities cool to kids. The Tamaya Resort will be OK, but it is located on the far north side of Albuquerque - quite a bit away from the major attractions. You'll need a car. The Marriott Courtyard in Santa Fe is OK for a brief visit - I recommend Inn of the Governors or The Old Santa Fe Inn, which are both downtown. The former has a pool, the latter has a free full breakfast. Both are within walking distance of the Plaza attractions. Another option, El Rey Inn has the pool, hot tubs, playground, continental breakfast, etc. It is not at the Plaza, but is close in on Cerrillos. I cannot comment on El Monte Sagrado since we do not usually stay in Taos, just do day trips. I'm not sure there is enough to do in Taos with kids to warrant a 3 nite stay.

Sorry for being so long-winded.

Things to do in Albq: Sandia Tram, Zoo, Old Town, Museums near OT, Pueblo History Museum, Petroglyphs Park, Balloon Museum.

Things to do in Santa Fe: Plaza area and museums, Loretto Chapel, Oldest house, Jackalope, Hiking at Tent Rocks, Bandelier, SF National Forest, Pecos National Monument, Horseback riding. At sunset, walk up to the Cross of the Martyrs to watch.

Things to do in Taos: The Taos Pueblo, Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, earthships west of Taos, Llama treks (lunch or day trips).

Hope this helps some. Have a great trip!

New York
Level Contributor
488 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Itinerary for Family of 4 (Boys ages 6 & 12)

Thank you for the info, greatly appreciated. We are now considering a 2 night stay in Taos at El Monte Sagrado, one night stay at Inn and Spa Loretto (they are offering similar rate to Inn of Governors with a $40 credit for breakfast and free parking), and a 3-4 night stay at Hyatt Tamaya. Thank you again for the sightseeing info it is greatly appreciated.

Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
480 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Itinerary for Family of 4 (Boys ages 6 & 12)

That sounds like a great deal! Free parking in Santa Fe is a real money-saver. Inn at Loretto is a good location too. Obviously, the chapel with the famous staircase is on the property and the oldest house and church are just down the street - the boys will love being as tall as the original doorways.

BTW, take Hwy. 18 (Turquoise Trail) from Alb. to Santa Fe. Several interesting stops and towns along the way that the kids might enjoy.

Have fun!

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Itinerary for Family of 4 (Boys ages 6 & 12)

Just a word about the Turquoise Trail (Highway 14). Many love the drive as an alternative to the interstate. There's the novelty attraction at Tinkertown, the detour up to the Sandia Crest, and the towns of Madrid and Cerrillos. But from the Hyatt Tamaya it requires a major backtracking detour through ABQ and then around the Sandias. Near its end, you can still catch the official route to las Golondrinas (at the bypass) but miss a possible side trip to Tent Rocks along the way between the Tamaya and Santa Fe. Of course, it won't feel like much backtracking if you are already in ABQ that day and there is also a little known (because it's dirt) connection between the Santo Domingo Pueblo exit and Hwy 14 that would also cut out the backtracking. There are some back roads from Bernalillo to Tent Rocks but if you took the interstate from Bernalillo, the Santo Domingo exit is what you would take for Tent Rocks...in the opposite direction from Hwy 14. See what fits you best.

Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
480 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Itinerary for Family of 4 (Boys ages 6 & 12)

Oops! My bad - It is Hwy. 14 (thanks, bleicherblog) that is the Turpuoise Trail. Hwy 18, which is over in eastern NM, goes thru Hobbs and probably would not be on your itenerary for this trip.

If you do go to Tent Rocks, which has beautiful views from both trails, go in the morning, wear good shoes, hats, suncreen and take plenty of water.

Bandelier Monument is also a good hike and would be interesting for the kids (they can climb up into the "houses"). Same thing: morning is best, good shoes, hats, sunscreen, water. They have guided tours or you can do your own.

20. Re: Itinerary for Family of 4 (Boys ages 6 & 12)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 04, 2014