We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Friday in Santa Fe

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Black Friday in Santa Fe

Thinking of taking some family up to Santa Fe on Black Friday (hate that expression and not crazy about spending day shopping but some in my party love it completely) by Rail Runner. Any tips? Suspect train depot and plaza areas would love some tourists, even for the day, or an afternoon. Train running on Saturday schedule. Shuttle might be running? Tia Sophia open until 2? The Shed open? Museums probably open. Just thought I'd see if anyone had some insights. Thanks.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Friday in Santa Fe

Hey bleicherblog, I've spent the last two, well let's just call them 'days after Thanksgiving', in Santa Fe. Will do so again. (I'm in Taos right now and heading down to Santa Fe tomorrow through Saturday.)

As far as I've been able to tell, pretty much everything is completely open. Museums. Restaurants. Galleries. I've never lacked for options on that day.

I don't know the RailRunner schedule, but it'd be nice to be on the Plaza at 6pm. That's when they throw the switch turning all the Christmas lights on, complete with countdown. I'm sure your boys would enjoy that. Heck, I enjoy that. :-) They have live music in the Plaza starting about 5pm and going to about 7pm if it's like previous years.

Keith

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Friday in Santa Fe

Kth. That sounds really great! I'll doublecheck but think there's an 8:01 train back, so the timing would work. I'll try to leave you msg. so we can meet up if that's possible. I'm coordinating with local family, maybe some inlaws, and family coming in (Sandy evacuees, sorta), so nothing's ever definite until last moment. Friend of mine from SF says that weekend always fun in SF; usually good weather. Says Tia Sophia always crowded...he loves their breakfast burritos and chile, and if we can go early enough I want to include that, too. Plaza Christmas lighting would be great way to see Santa Fe and end the day. If you are there, too, look for the boys and their scruffy ol' dad. Thanks for that heads up; and glad to hear you are in NM again.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black Friday in Santa Fe

Hey again bleicherblog - it'd be great to meet up again if that works out for you. Heck, I've already met up with 3 other DE's on this trip: RedRox, GhostTownTraveller and TaosBandBLover…the more the merrier.

Hopefully you still have my cell number. If you send me a PM on TA, I'll be able to see it but won't be able to respond that way (only have iPhone on trip).

I'm pretty flexible on Friday. Of course I have "plans" but the only locked in things are Ten Thousand Waves from 10:15-11:45am, Plaza Lighting at 6pm and dinner at Mucho Gusto at 7 pm.

So let me know. :-)

Keith

Edited: 10:07 pm, November 20, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,282 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black Friday in Santa Fe

Hey Keith hope you are having a great visit.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black Friday in Santa Fe

Hey Casa! You know I am. Sedona was great. Taos has been great. And Santa Fe's gonna be great!

Hope you and yours have a terrific Thanksgiving. (Assuming the son will be home from school.)

Keith

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Black Friday in Santa Fe

I will Kth. I'm looking forward to it. Looks like Thanksgiving Day will be a warm day but, with a front moving in, Friday looks to be 10 degrees cooler but with sunny skies. I think kids and out of towners would love seeing the plaza getting dressed for the holidays.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Black Friday in Santa Fe

Hey bleicherblog - just letting you know I got your PM. (Should have said that I still have your number, too.) I suppose organizing family can be like herding cats!

Have a great day tomorrow and hope to see you on Friday.

Keith

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Black Friday in Santa Fe

Nice to see you Kth, however brief. I look forward to your TR. As you know, we had our hearts set on The Shed. Apparently, so did many others. We got a late start so drove but a couple of family did manage train. So it was going to be dinner there. I called in the morning before they opened to ask about reservations. They said they were booked through the entire Thanksgiving weekend but would take walk ins. Long wait. I checked in before dinner hour; still long wait. We decided to give it a shot anyway, as many were hungry, thirsty, and cold, arriving just when they opened. We were party of 8. We managed to nab two small tables in the bar area and had a couple of Margaritas (good house; reasonable price). Then they accommodated us by saying they'd serve us there. Turned out great. Loved the posole and the red was fiery. Of course, we missed the light switch in the plaza, which would have been a blast, I could see from the build up earlier. But the lights were just as nice as we walked through the plaza after our dinner. Everything ended up working out just fine. (Maybe see you again in new year.)

9. Re: Black Friday in Santa Fe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, December 16, 2013