We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway art

San Diego
Level Contributor
124 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Highway art

Having never been to this area before 2 weeks ago, I wanted to share my pleasure in seeing the highway art out of Santa Fe on the way to Bandelier National Monument (HWY 84/285 north). There were several overpass bridges that were decorated with Indian art forms and names. I found myself taking pictures through the windshield as we approached the bridges because they were so unique. Also closer to the city, there were embankments that were decorated, some with tiles of birds or lizards, some with patterns. Coming from southern California, and having traveled to many other states, it seems to me that New Mexico spends a greater percentage of their money on their highway infrastructure than most other states, although I have no idea if that is true or not. I also saw a rest area somewhere else in the state at which the picnic table shelters were built like little pueblos. So I just wanted to say that I was impressed by these little details that enhanced my road trip vacation.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,282 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highway art

Many of the animals and designs along the walls and bridges between Santa Fe and Tesuque were designed by Federico Vigil, a fresco artist. His late sister in law was a close friend of mine. Also check out his work at the National Hispanic Cultural Center in Abq the Torreon Fresco. www.nationalhispaniccenter.org/index.php…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highway art

I would add that NM spends $ on public art; Santa Fe is considered alternately the 2nd, 3rd and 4th largest art market in US. The airport in Albuquerque also has interesting artwork/sculpture on the roads nearby. You noticed the rest areas too.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highway art

Can't wait to see it! I notice the same type of bridge art work in Tucson when I visit my mother there. Nice touches that really enhance the drive.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highway art

We enjoyed the art on the bridges and retaining walls, too, and I took lots of photos. I wish we had such highway creativity in the Northeast.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highway art

And, I might add, the Sunport in Albuquerque is lovely -- even the restrooms have beautiful designs and aesthetic touches!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,571 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highway art

agreed-- I loved all the art along the way :) On the Turquiose Trail, we ran across some giant leaf sculptures--

Perhaps here in my state, it would be a nightmare to keep up with considering the harsh winters? It always seems the milder state have that sort of thing.

Altho-- I will say that S Dakota had some great and fun HUGE metal artwork along I90. :) not the lovely painting and tiles, but... fun to see along the way.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Highway art

I don't know, Wings -- the Toledo Zoo has some great artwork on a walkway over the Anthony Wayne Trail.

8. Re: Highway art

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, December 15, 2013