We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Fe from Denver?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Santa Fe from Denver?

what is the best transportation from Denver Airport to Santa Fe (or Albuquerque, a more popular route?). The reason why I'm asking is because the airline, Jet Blue does not go to New Mexico, so Denver was the closest destination. I have seen Denver already, so I need to get to NM quicker. I noticed that the ONE way car rentals seen to be very expensive from Denver to any part of New Mexico (then we are taking Amtrak to Las Vegas Nevada and flying home from Nevada). So is there any other AVAILABLE transportation from Denver to New Mexico?? Any trains, or express buses? Any ideas from your experiences?

Level Contributor
669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Fe from Denver?

If you are flying into Santa Fe from Denver there's a small jet service called Great Lakes Airlines. There is a car rental agency at the SF airport,,,I think it's Hertz. You can also fly into Albuquerque and rent a car there as well. I truly think the bus takes too long because they make way too many stops.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Fe from Denver?

to HATHOR....thanks for letting me know about the airlines (I never heard of Great Lakes airlines). Are the prices lower than other airlines? You are right about bus lines because I checked out Greyhound and it takes a long time to get to Santa Fe (from Denver) losing valuable vacation days. I just hope that this airline has reasonable prices, so I'll check it out later.

I will rent a car in New Mexico and return it in the same spot, so the rates will be better than the one way rates. I still can't get over one way car rentals being so high in Denver.

Santa Fe
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Fe from Denver?

You might consider flying Frontier Airlines from Denver to Albuquerque. They have great service and good prices. There are several shuttles that can take you to Santa Fe form the Albqueruqe airport. There is a direct flight on Great Lakes but it is more expensive. It lands in Santa Fe and there are shuttles into the city.

Amtrak stops in Lamy which is South of Santa Fe and you'd have to arrange for ground transportation.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Fe from Denver?

to OJOART....I just looked up the lowest fare airlines and you were correct, Frontier has better rates. We'll have to rent a car anyway, so it is better to fly to Alburquerque, and rent the car there, and after visiting Santa Fe and Taos, go back to Albq and take AMTRAK from there to Las Vegas. I just hope AMTRAK doesn't go out of business....