We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pueblo vs Cliff dwellings

Maple Valley...
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Pueblo vs Cliff dwellings

Dr. has finally given a green light for us to try to come to Santa Fe area in early May. Many people helped me make this decision by responding on this site about the elevation and my asthma.

I need more information. I hear that Pueblos are not the same as the cliff dwellings. My social studies book many years ago called the cliff houses "pueblos." Please explain to me what is a pueblo and what and where is a cliff dwelling to see? We will stay 3 days in Albuquerque and then a week in Santa Fe during which we will try a day visit to Taos. My doctor suggested we not miss the Turquoise Trail in that general area. Any hints about that?

Thanks. Index Mom

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Albuquerque
Albuquerque
New Mexico
Taos
Taos
Taos County, NM
Turquoise Trail
Turquoise Trail
192 Reviews
New Mexico
Redmond, WA
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pueblo vs Cliff dwellings

I'm glad you will be able to make this trip!

Pueblos and cliff dwellings are similar in that they are Indian dwellings. Cliff dwellings, however, are located on a cliff. They are carved into the side of a mountain or plateau. Mesa Verde, Colorado is probably one of the most famous cliff dwellings. There is also one in southern NM in the Gila NF. Pueblos are adobe dwellings that are grouped together, but not on a cliff.

Mentioned in this post
Mesa
Mesa
Central Arizona, AZ
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Atascadero...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pueblo vs Cliff dwellings

IndexMom,

That's great news. I'm sure you'll love it here.

The distinction between "Pueblos" and "cliff dwellings" in the modern context is fairly simple. The native people here of long ago lived in dwellings literally carved and built into the sides of cliffs. The lands that modern native peoples live on are called "Pueblos" as they correctly (I might add) deem the term "reservation" demeaning.

The actual adobe buildings many people live in to this day are "pueblos". The most prominent, complex and amazing one to behold is Taos Pueblo. It is very much worth the trip.

There are several parks here where you can see remnants of these "cliff dwellings". The most prominent and easily accessible for your itinerary is Bandelier National Monument. It's just a little north and west of Santa Fe.

http://www.nps.gov/band/

There is another in our immediate area called Puye' and is on the Santa Clara "Pueblo" but we can't seem to be able to find out when it will reopen since it was damaged in the 2001 Cerro Grande Fire.

www.hanksville.org/voyage/misc/puye.html

From photos it looks really incredible.

The Turquoise Trail is a federally recognized Scenic Byway that I'd consider the scenic route to get from Albuquerque to Santa Fe. The interstate I-25 runs on the west side of the Sandia Mts and the Turquoise Trail runs on the east side of the Sandias and is quite pretty ot drive. A nice stop about 3/4 of the way through it is a little former mining town named Madrid. It's been repopulated with artists, back-to-the-landers, etc... and has some fun and funky shops, studios, etc....

Well, I've got some stuff to attend to, but I'll put in a call to the Santa Clara office tomorrow and see when they think Puye' might open and will post the results.

Mentioned in this post
Bandelier National Monument
Bandelier National...
1,734 Reviews
Los Alamos, NM
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Santa Clara
Santa Clara
California
Pueblo
Pueblo
Colorado
Turquoise Trail
Turquoise Trail
192 Reviews
New Mexico
Albuquerque
Albuquerque
New Mexico
Maple Valley...
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pueblo vs Cliff dwellings

TimToad123, you have been so incredibly patient and helpful. I am glad to understand the current meaning of pueblo. I agree it is a more pleasant word for one's living area. I have reached age 71 never updating my mind's perception of cliff dwellings and pueblos. I am hoping we will return from our visit full of knowledge of the southwest in many ways. We are looking forward to this trip.

Do you think of any pitfalls we might want to avoid? We plan to stay in Gallup on our way there and I have seen some mixed reviews of that town. I have come to trust your opinion and would welcome whatever you think we might need to know. Thanks. Index Mom

Mentioned in this post
Gallup
Gallup
New Mexico
Maple Valley...
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pueblo vs Cliff dwellings

Lynnl: Thanks for the input. I've never tried to plan a trip in such detail before, but with my current state (Little Old Lady with Asthma) I can't make a lot of false starts.

We lived in Bellevue from '80-88 and have fond memories of life in Seattle area. Two of our sons still live there as they finished college and opted not to return to CA when their dad retired. That gives us plenty of reason to head to Seattle a couple times a year. Three grandchildren live there now. Thanks for helping me plan this New Mexico adventure. Index Mom

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
New Mexico
New Mexico
United States