We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Many Days?

New York
Level Contributor
717 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
How Many Days?

We just tentatively booked 7 nights at La Fonda. Wondering if an entire week is too much in Santa Fe. Thinking maybe 5 nights in SF, 2 in Taos may be better? We love the outdoors, however, neither of us are literally out-door types; i.e.; we don't hike, ski, fish, etc. Long walks, taking photos is our speed LOL. I know we can easily spend 3-4 days, plenty to fill those up between all the museums, galleries and spas.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Santa Fe
Level Contributor
101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Many Days?

I think you will do fine Lambkin. Many visitors are happy with a day trip to Taos via the high road. Some do stay in Toas, but are disappointed they didn't just do a day trip.

You can also use Santa Fe as a starting point for a day trip to bandelier Nat'l Monument and the Jemez Mountains, or a short visit down the Turquoise Trail to Madrid & Cerillos.

Take a day and pamper yourselves at Ten Thousand Waves!

Rahway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
157 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Many Days?

Thanks Birdsong, you basically affirmed what I thought. My husband had been to Taos for one day years ago and said it might be better off just overnight, or a long sidetrip.

We've been looking at the Ten Thousand Waves site daily LOL. Looks downright magical, and we probably will make a day out of that!

Thanks again!

Oakville,Ontario Can
Level Contributor
134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Many Days?

Hey Lambkin. I am SO envious. I spent 8 days in Santa Fe last December and still wanted more but then, I am a shopoholic and I was in bliss! Touring the galleries and museums and churches can take copious amounts of time and just walking around admiring the architecture is a fabulous way to spend the days. We went to Taos one day and to Albuqueque another...take the long road to Alb. and visit Madrid and the other little towns. We hiked at Bandelier Monument and visited the pueblos and seemed to spend a long time just deciding where to have our meals...so much to choose from! (Buy a Fodors guide.) You will not find a more lovely city in which to take photos...the light is incredible and there is something irrestible to photogragh on every corner. We did alot of side trips which took the day. I think you are lucky to have the week and you will probably be left wanting to return to do more.