We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

balloon festival

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
balloon festival

I never been to the Balloon festival.

Do you need tickets to go? Also, do you need to get there really early to see the launch. I hear that it is quite amazing.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,224 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: balloon festival

You can get tickets at the gate, or ahead of time. We usually get there about 6:45am. There are so many balloons that the launches go on for quite awhile. Check here for more info: http://www.balloonfiesta.com/

It is an amazing event!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: balloon festival

If you are attending one of the 2-Weekend (or Wednesday morning) Mass Ascensions, the earlier the better is the rule. The first weekend is always the busiest.

There are many tent shops, and food booths to keep the wait a pleasant one. You'll never be amongst so many happy 125,000 people, anywhere else in the world.

For first-timers, I highly recommend using the Park & Ride bus services into Balloon Fiesta Park from serveral places around Albuquerque. You can buy bus/admission packages. For those driving in there are separate parking, and admission fees.

With over 700 participating balloons, it usually takes about 2 hours to launch them all...in four waves, from one end of the field to the other. The "glows" at dusk are beautiful too, even though the balloons never leave the ground.

Like a NASCAR event, or Red Sox game, it can be cancelled by rain, or more likely winds too high to safely fly. Actually, landing (often amongst powerlines, and trees) is the difficult part.

Like the Grand Canyon, you must see it in person to appreciate it!

I hope you'll be able to pay it a visit soon.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: balloon festival

Wow! Reading your replies makes me even more excited.

We just happened to plan to go for 5 days and didn't realize

that the balloon festival was happening. It is turning out to be quite a nice surprise.

We will be there from the first weekend as well as a few weekdays.

Would you advise going on a weekday morning.

Thanks again!

FL
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: balloon festival

What are the dates of the ballon festival?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,224 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: balloon festival

Oct 3-11

You can get tickets at the entrance, or buy ahead of time at their website.

You will need to be there at dawn, usually by 7am!

http://www.balloonfiesta.com/

6. Re: balloon festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, January 20, 2010